vigorous chick, new hatch, cant right it's self??

viktoriacl

Songster
12 Years
Jun 23, 2010
I had this chick pip right about mid way between right end and wrong end. I let it go and nothing more happened for a while. I noticed there was no beak at pip spot and membrane was dried so I removed a piece or two of the shell right at the pip spot and there was a happy beak acting as the others were. This chick has been very active and loud the entire time. It had not zipped as the others were but I left it and went to bed. In the morning ( now 28 hrs or so since initial pip) I came upon a chick with one full leg out of the shell. It was kicking away and making zero progress so I slowly chipped away some shell and returned to bator. There were no blood vessels in the membrane. Still no progress, chipped some more and back in the bator it went. It just seemed like it couldn't kick free so I helped some more. It's belly is nice and full no big vessels etc. It's now free of the shell and is loud and vigorous but cant seem to get to its feet! If I right it it stays for a few seconds and then kicks its self right back to its side or back. What is this all about? Should I just let it be?

Sure enough it's up and drying off! Thanks! It must have been so tired from being stuck and working so hard all night :)

Back
Top Bottom