1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vinegar in humidity water

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wynn4578, May 26, 2017.

1. wynn4578

wynn4578 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    i just finished building an incubator for a friend and I threw all the bells and whistles into this thing. One of the whistles is auto humidity. On my incubator I have a pan that a mister sits in with a cover and a humidity controller turns it on and off as needed. On the new incubator I added a holding tank and plumbed and actual system in for handelimg humidity. The pro - works great don't have to guess at humidity levels. The con. HOLY bleep! There's no way to clean this thing! So my question...

Would adding a cap of vinegar to the water hurt his hatch rate? What would you use if not vinegar?

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Peroxide. Are you trying to clean it while in the middle of incubating eggs?? Being you asked if it would hurt his hatch?

3. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Not trying to clean it. Just don't want anything building up in there. I was looking for something that would be safe for eggs but keep anything like bacteria from growing in the water.

4. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I recommended that he run a peroxide solution thru the incubator in between incubating but he wanted an incubator/hatcher that would hold at least 300 eggs and says he is going to try to stagger hatch for the next couple months at least. So I was hoping to find a solution that didn't require stopping the incubation cycle to clean.

5. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I do not know whats safe for the eggs that would be good enough to clean everything out. After I turned my incubator on the first time--I ran it for 1 1/2 years 24/7 before turning it off the first time, during that time I do not remember having to clean the water pan, but did dump it a few times---But I used a hatcher for hatching. I never even wanted a auto-fill in mine. I bought the 5 gal bucket, pan and sponges(I call them) but never used them. To each their own---if a man wants that---get it---is what I say.

6. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    He may have to just shut down occasionally and cycle it with peroxide. Mine has auto humidity but not auto fill so I just take the pan out and add new water occasionally.

If I build another one with auto fill I'm going to use this experience and create a way to easily remove the system and flush it out occasionally without interrupting the incubation cycle. Hindsight is 20/20.

7. wynn4578

Apr 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    The one I built this guy is a double cabinet. 1 side is an incubator the other side is a hatcher. Mine is the same set up without the auto fill.

8. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    True!

9. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    use bottled water . wont need to worry about build up as much right ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by