1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vinegar

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tink, Aug 5, 2007.

1. tink

tink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2007
    upstate SC
    Why do you add vinegar to your chickens water? Is it a treat or is it for medical reasons?

Thanks
    Tink:)

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's actually the unpasteurized organic apple cider vinegar with mother of vinegar (the sediment) in it. It helps them maintain a proper pH in their gut. They seem to like the flavor too. You only put a tablespoon or two in a gallon of water.

3. robmcsched

robmcsched Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2007
    Be sure to use only stainless, glass or chrome with the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV). Plastic and galvanized steel or aluminum with the ACV will leach toxic stuff into the water.

I belong to an a yahoo organic chickens group and everyone swears it keeps them healthy by warding off disease and keeping parasites under control, along with the good ph in the gut.

We also put garlic in the water and food grade diatmaceous earth in the feed--check out the group at yahoo--just trying organic chickens...it explains all.

R
    Carmichael, Ca

4. jab91864

jab91864 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2007
    Northern Michigan
    I've been adding the ACV to my chickens water, but I've been adding it ONLY to their plastic waterers [​IMG]

None of my info said adding it to plastic containers was harmful.

Julie

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know that you cannot use it with metal waterers; Never heard anything about plastic ones. Most people use plastic ones; in fact, I've never even seen a chrome or glass waterer. I add it to the plastic ones, since that is all I use other than my 5 gallon galvanized one.

6. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

never heard about plastic being bad either....that's what I use also.

Sandra

7. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I have a plastic waterer also and acv in it -- they are still alive and kicking, anyone else have info on this?

8. pharr389

pharr389 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2007
    southeast georgia
    they sale apple cider vinegar in plastic containers at the grocery stores. don't see where a plastic waterer would hurt.

9. erinm

erinm Posting For A change

Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    I use plastic. Where i get my birds, she uses plastic also. erinM

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by