Virginia not allowing birds to be shipped in?

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by middlebrook, Mar 2, 2009.

1. middlebrook

middlebrook New Egg

Mar 2, 2009
    This is my first post on this site so i hope I placed this in the right section. We ordered some chickens/turkeys from Cackle and was informed that they are no longer shipping to Virginia as the state is demanding more tests than they can do. Has anyone else in VA had this problem. I'm sick of big brother knowing whats best for me and my family

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Another option is to buy locally from reliable stock.
    Do you have an ag supply outlet, co-op, feed store, TSC carrying chicks?

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The Virginia law says that hatching eggs and poultry must be NPIP certified to enter the State and also by verified MG free, so everyone Cackle hatchery is not MG free.

If you buy chicks or started birds from them, you could be bringing MG onto your farm.

http://www.vdacs.virginia.gov/animals/pdf/2vac5.140.pdf

pages 7 & 8 pertain to poultry

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    I hear this every year that no chicks will be shiped in its not true i have one order already in and 2 more on the way. I do agree that it may be from certen hatcherys that are not alowed in and if they wont let thelm in we dont want thelm. They may not know what is best for you or your family but it is not thelm they are looking out for its your nabiors flock they are whatching out for and maybe even mine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by