Virginia

So... my closest TSC swap is really bad evidently. Last month, dropped by around 11 am or so and there was nobody. This weekend, stopped by at 8 am, and 2 people selling..... pigeons. Not that I have anything against pigeons, I just don't want any. Went back around 10 and one other guy showed up with hen/roo pair of adult leghorns. Pretty birds actually, especially the rooster but I may have a few myself once the chicks grow into adults and I can be certain. 11:30, one other guy shows up with about 5 roosters. All in all, there were maybe 20 total birds there; a dozen of which were pigeons. :(

That being said; how is the Christiansburg and Roanoke swaps as far as numbers go? variety?
which swap was that?

of the 2, roanoke is the biggest (3rd saturdays) but christiansburg (1st saturdays) is pretty good too. i do both.

the swap at southern states in roanoke/troutville, i think this was the first one ever. there were 2 people there.

Dan will probably be in c'burg. he raises wheaten marans and welsummer (pm me for his phone # if you want to talk before the swap). he's usually at roanoke and c'burg.

I plan to be there, but not sure what i'll have, other than some EE chicks and maybe a couple young pairs of mille fleur bantam cochins.

The swap with only a few sellers was in Wytheville. They use to sell chickens at the local livestock auction some years back, but stopped doing poultry. The TSC swap, for some reason, hasn't really taken off in place of that. It's the 4th Saturday of the month and hopefully improves over the course of time. I'll likely try Chrisitiansburg this coming weekend, and Roanoke later in the month as well.

Hello Virginians, I am having a huge poultry swap meet in Sharpsburg, MD on June 8th and wanted to let you know about it.

Green Hill Farm
5329 Mondell Rd.
Sharpsburg, MD. 21782

Website. http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/ ..find us on Facebook too!

Here's a bit of what I have heard is coming. Camping is free night before and we also do a pig roast, have live bluegrass and lots of fun stuff. It will not disappoint.

welsh harlequin and runner ducks, bantam call ducks in many colors, moscovy ducklings and breeders in many colors, holderread geese in blue american and white emdens, sebastapol goslings and some breeding pairs, red star pullets, polish (many different varieties) GLW, SLW (golden and silver laced wyandottes) silkies (splash and partridge) coturnix quail, turkens, "bannies" sumatra (couple different breeders) red sex link pullets, blue swedish ducks, dominiques, lakenvelder, white marans, welsummer, barnevelder, wheaten marans, oegb (old english game bantams) japs, d'uccle, serama, more silkies, bantam cochins in many colors, guineas, brahmas (some lights and darks and rare varieties like buff laced and silver laced, lavender columbian and black, bourbon red, black spanish, blue slate, production white, royal palm, eastern wild and wishard bronze turks, red golden, ring neck, amhurst, splash, peach, cinnamon and silver pheasants, lots of peafowl (breeders and peachicks), speckled sussex, faverolles, more polish (fancy show quality and pet quality including tolbunt and buff laced polish), fly ties, long tails, light Sussex, cuckoo Marans, easter eggers, polish roos, black australorps, exotic pheasant eggs, a trio of breeding silver pheasants, baby pheasants, a few Netherland dwarf rabbits. Poultry supplies. Succulents. Pitcher plants, old trowels, decorative flower pots, and some wrought iron trellises. Also wind chimes, gourds, and garden accent stuff, black and wheaten rosecombs, delawares, old rusty barn stuff, peachicks and turkey poults, Cuckoo Marans, Speckled Sussex, Red Blue Laced Wyndottes, Red Leghorns and numerous bantams. Bunnies, Bunnies Bunnies! hatching eggs, some pigeons, lots of tie dye, vegan handmade soap, original artwork and maybe some local honey, handmade farm signs, hanging baskets, veggie plants, perennials, and bedding flowers, AKC purebred St. Bernard pups there. Will be 11 wks. old . Vet checked & shots. Very socialized - family raised !! Both parents are sweet, gentle dogs.

Will also have piles of chickens. GLW, SLW -Foley line, BLRW, Blue Wheaten Ameraucanas, SLW/RIR, SLW/NH. All excellent layers of brown eggs. The ameraucanas lay blue eggs, Bad Hairs bags, on face book,will be going!With our unique feed sack bags,

We also are also hosting "Homesteading Days" the weekend after if anyone is interested

Hello Virginians, I am having a huge poultry swap meet in Sharpsburg, MD on June 8th and wanted to let you know about it.

Green Hill Farm
5329 Mondell Rd.
Sharpsburg, MD. 21782

Website. http://mdpoultryswap.blogspot.com/ ..find us on Facebook too!

Here's a bit of what I have heard is coming. Camping is free night before and we also do a pig roast, have live bluegrass and lots of fun stuff. It will not disappoint.
<snipped to conserve space>
ok... now, who (in the Roanoke area) would like to get together and split the gas to head up? if we could get 3 or 4 people together, I might be able to finagle hubby's boss's astro van again, which has awesome chicken storage capabilities. LOL just about 3 1/2 hours from orange ave (hubby's work makes a convenient place to meet up and park vehicles).

I will be going. Even though my wife is not into chickens, I requested for my birthday in May that she come to this chicken swap with me. So my better half will be with me in Sharpsburg! We live about 45 minutes away so this meet makes a lot of sense for me.

Gilmanor Chick update!!!
Here are the 2 EE chicks that I picked up from Karen.
big_smile.png

Lido is blrw/ee and a sweetie!!

Benzo is still a little wild, but once caught is happy enough to sit a while.
I LOVE all the blue 'she' is showing.

Is this baby fluff or a top-knot in the making????
(I'm denying that there is already a comb showing....)
fl.gif
please, please, please be a female

Laps... good for napping
(and pooing)

Also - BABIES ARE HATCHING!
celebrate.gif

The day after Gilmanor one of my hens went broody.
roll.png

These babies are some sort of mix of black copper marans and: australorp/jersey giant - or - easter egger - or - silver laced wynadotte - or - speckled sussex....

Gilmanor Chick update!!!
Here are the 2 EE chicks that I picked up from Karen.
big_smile.png

Lido is blrw/ee and a sweetie!!

Benzo is still a little wild, but once caught is happy enough to sit a while.
I LOVE all the blue 'she' is showing.

Is this baby fluff or a top-knot in the making????
(I'm denying that there is already a comb showing....)
fl.gif
please, please, please be a female

Laps... good for napping
(and pooing)
ok, not sure when hens they came from but Lido's a Big'un baby... oh and i'ts quite possible Lido's pure blrw... i had some hatch that were from that pen but didn't look 'right' so they got lumped into the ee mix.

now Benzo... well benzo's a 'weebie baby' LOL and yes that is a crest coming in. just like her poppa. (they're she unless i see wattles developing...)

Big'Un...

and Weeble.

Last edited:
WHOOO-HOOOO!!
celebrate.gif
Big'un is gorgeous. I was thrilled at a blrw mix.. but maybe pure blrw?!?!?!
ya.gif

A couple of folks on the EE threads had said that Benzo was male because of the patchy red. I'm with you, till she proves she's a he, I'm going to keep calling her 'her'. If not - well, I'm going to need a replacement for Hurra anyway.
By the way - anyone want a LOVELY fbcm 1 year old rooster who is good to his hens but getting more and more aggressive to me?

Carmen, the eggs that I let them incubate were (I think) only from the australorp/jersey giant hens and from Candy the EE. The 3rd chick that hatched yesterday has feathered legs! How cool if she turns out to be big and shiny black with fluffy feet! The 2 chicks that didn't make it were marked exactly the same way so I'm excited to see if the last ones turn out to be little clones too.

Back
Top Bottom