Virginia

Just got back from the Sharpsburg, MD swap this weekend. You really have to be careful in evaluating the sellers at these meets. You will see everything there. All types of people from those who have resources to those who do not. How are they set up how do they handle their chickens? Are they presented in a manner that shows the person cares for them? Or are they just crammed into whatever is convenient to transport them? How does the cleanliness and conditions look? Are the obvious signs of health or lack thereof? It can be a tough call especially if you find a bird or more that you really want.

I wound up purchasing 5 blue wheaten/wheaten ameraucana chicks from a reputable breeder at Sharpsburg. All are healthy and doing well. Bowen12, I am sorry that your friend lost the silkie. I am glad that they are having it evaluated. Let us know the results as they become available.

^ that is frustrating that someone would try to pawn off a sick chicken. It could have taken out the whole flock.

My multitasking fail for the day: dont forget you have eggs in your pockets when you start trying to do other chores...broken eggs in both pockets not cool at all

That's disgrusting!...

don't ask me how I know.
roll.png

The silkie my friend wound up with from the Christiansburg swap didn't improve.  Tried vitamin therapy, treating for parasites, etc.  They took her today to the state agriculture services to have her euthinized and a necropsy.  Hopefully nothing that could have potentially infected his flock.  Will post results when they get them.  Whatever the outcome, the seller obviously and knowingly sold a sick bird which is insane.  Results of that practice obviously hurt profits of more ethical sellers since it puts a general swap meet fear into the rest of us.  It's unfortunate these things aren't somehow governed.

This is really worrying. About a month and a half or two months ago (been really busy, I've lost track of time) I bought some Silkies from a local swap, got them home and realized one was sneezing. The next day they were all sneezing...and absolutely infested with mites AND lice. Thank goodness I quarantine. I have so much $$$ invested in my breeding flock that it would have been devastating to loose any. I gave the sick birds antibiotics and killed all of the creepy crawlies. Didn't loose any, but one has a weird leg issue and isn't growing the way it should. These chicks will never join my breeding flock and I've decided I'll never buy live birds from a swap again. What gets me is this was a swap I've been to many times, hosted by Pet Chickens of Va. Poo.

AND! Now I have no idea what to do with those chicks! I don't want to keep them (obviously), I don't want to euth them (they're BEAUTIFUL, and would have made great additions to my breeding flock) and I wouldn't feel right selling them either. Very frustrating :barnie

Last edited:
State vet called today. Initial findings locally are of significant coccidiosis. Various cultures are en route to a pathologist to be thorough and check for other illnesses and diseases. This after the bird had been treated for mites and parasites, given intensive vitamin therapy, and dosages of corid before deciding to send it for necropsy. Evidently the bird was so far gone by the time the guy peddled it off on an unknowing customer, that the coccidiosis treatment was ineffective. If it ends at coccidiosis, the guy will be grateful that other diseases weren't brought in. It has soured us both on swap meets though, and for me at least, there is zero percent that I ever add to my flock via one of these things unless/until some sort of monitoring for illnesses occurs.

personally, I think when you go to swaps, there's a good chance you'll get good birds, IF the owner's a responsible breeder. it's up to the buyer to look over the birds, check them for parasites, body weight, etc. all you have to do is ask if you can handle the bird in question. keep some hand sanitizer in your purse/car to use between breeders.

I sell lots of birds at the swaps and have lots of happy customers. then again, I don't try to pass off something half dead or injured, unless it's a known issue and i'll tell you up front. like the dorking girl that found a home last fall at gilmanor... had a broken leg heal badly, but she could still gimp around. she was actually sold before I got to the swap.

i'll also buy birds from swaps, but the FIRST thing I do before I even take them off the truck is treat for internal and external parasites (ivermectin orally and spot on). then they go into quarantine for at least 2 weeks. if they're still eating well, acting normal, good poops, etc after 2 weeks then i'll work on integrating them into the flock.

the only exception to the quarantine rule is if I know the breeder and their flock well. but they still get treated, regardless. IMO all birds are likely to have a few lice or mites here and there. it's unavoidable if they're with other birds and outdoors even part of the day... healthy birds are able to control them, to a point, by dust bathing and preening, but even then a few might slip thru.

I treat my entire flock twice a year, orally for internal and blood sucking external parasites, then a week later externally to get any external parasites that may have been missed, or live on feather dander, rather than blood. (lice vs mites). even new birds that may have only been here a month or 2, they get treated again with the rest so they're on schedule.

it's all about management IMO... managing new birds, old birds, and everything in between.

personally, I think when you go to swaps, there's a good chance you'll get good birds, IF the owner's a responsible breeder. it's up to the buyer to look over the birds, check them for parasites, body weight, etc. all you have to do is ask if you can handle the bird in question. keep some hand sanitizer in your purse/car to use between breeders.

I sell lots of birds at the swaps and have lots of happy customers. then again, I don't try to pass off something half dead or injured, unless it's a known issue and i'll tell you up front. like the dorking girl that found a home last fall at gilmanor... had a broken leg heal badly, but she could still gimp around. she was actually sold before I got to the swap.

i'll also buy birds from swaps, but the FIRST thing I do before I even take them off the truck is treat for internal and external parasites (ivermectin orally and spot on). then they go into quarantine for at least 2 weeks. if they're still eating well, acting normal, good poops, etc after 2 weeks then i'll work on integrating them into the flock.

the only exception to the quarantine rule is if I know the breeder and their flock well. but they still get treated, regardless. IMO all birds are likely to have a few lice or mites here and there. it's unavoidable if they're with other birds and outdoors even part of the day... healthy birds are able to control them, to a point, by dust bathing and preening, but even then a few might slip thru.

I treat my entire flock twice a year, orally for internal and blood sucking external parasites, then a week later externally to get any external parasites that may have been missed, or live on feather dander, rather than blood. (lice vs mites). even new birds that may have only been here a month or 2, they get treated again with the rest so they're on schedule.

it's all about management IMO... managing new birds, old birds, and everything in between.
We do the same exact thing. Before they even put a foot down on our property we glove up and treat then quarantine. All birds regardless of where they come from are treated and quarantined. Take no chances around here.

just a reminder, today is the Roanoke swap...

heading out the door in a few, hope to see you there.
thumbsup.gif

I'll have ee's, 'dottes and some bantam cochins. and maybe a couple sfh roos too.

Last edited:
Just got back from the Sharpsburg, MD swap this weekend.  You really have to be careful in evaluating the sellers at these meets.  You will see everything there.  All types of people from those who have resources to those who do not.  How are they set up how do they handle their chickens?  Are they presented in a manner that shows the person cares for them?  Or are they just crammed into whatever is convenient to transport them?  How does the cleanliness and conditions look?  Are the obvious signs of health or lack thereof?  It can be a tough call especially if you find a bird or more that you really want.

I went to this swap also, and, being new to this, I had no idea what was normal and what was not. Some of the vendors had sloppy, crammed booths and were very sloppy themselves. I hope that doesn't sound snooty - and I'm just a city girl - but I tend to judge by presentation of seller and what's for sale. Like you said, there were all kinds. Some had so many birds crammed in cages, I don't think I'd ever buy from them. Overall it was fun, but I left a little let down, and confused about what I should do when it comes time for me to actually buy. I guess what I always do...research, research, research. That's why I'm here on BYC when I haven't even moved yet or bought chickens.

I went to this swap also, and, being new to this, I had no idea what was normal and what was not. Some of the vendors had sloppy, crammed booths and were very sloppy themselves. I hope that doesn't sound snooty - and I'm just a city girl - but I tend to judge by presentation of seller and what's for sale. Like you said, there were all kinds. Some had so many birds crammed in cages, I don't think I'd ever buy from them. Overall it was fun, but I left a little let down, and confused about what I should do when it comes time for me to actually buy. I guess what I always do...research, research, research. That's why I'm here on BYC when I haven't even moved yet or bought chickens.

That is an excellent approach. :) You will be well rewarded by taking your time and learning as much as you can before you commit to chickens, a particular breed or breeds. It had been 50 years since I was involved with chickens as a kid. I, too, did a lot of research here, library books, and online to get a s good an understanding as I could. While I am behind the curve in getting enough facilities setup for my chickens, I am making good progress with my plans for what I want to accomplish.

Back
Top Bottom