Virginia

I'm just curious - how did you skin them??  The skin should just peal off, leaving all of the meat. 

Yes. The skinning part was simple once I figured out where their leg/feathers started since they all had feathered legs. It was the next step that I needed help with like identifying where to cut off the meat since I tried to do the "no gutting" method and just fillet off the meat. So really it's not the skinning part but the next step where I would want help.

Quote: when i'm pulling meat off, I don't use a knife on anything but the ligaments that hold it to the bone.

if you don't have one to play with, get yourself a Kroger roaster (cheap). peel it first, so you have a starting point, then if you feel around, you can feel where each muscle group starts and stops, and usually be able to get your fingers under it easily. there is some connective tissue around each muscle that makes separating them easy. for thighs, you can pop the joints (a knife helps to cut the cartilage in the joint), then once you have just the thigh, slice down the middle (all the way to the bone), and cut around the bone, scraping it slightly to get all the meat.

you can do the same with wings (almost a why bother tho) and legs. some people also save back meat and rib meat, but usually that goes into the soup pot (gutted carcass), or out to the chicken pen as is usually in case the dog gets hold of it. (cooked bones splinter, raw are digestible by dogs and cats). alternatively, you can also bake it and give to the chickens (meat comes off easier) and leave the carcass for roaming dogs and predators to play with in the hopes that the bones DO splinter, but that's between you and your wandering dogs/predators and how much you want them gone.

Debbie, sounds like my cucumber 'patch'. It's is trying to take over the peppers on one side and the peas on the other! It's like walking through kudzu every time I go out there.
Pat pans are great if you pick the really young so that the skin is real thin, then slice up real thin, toss in a pot with butter/onion/salt/pepper and stew down to mush. My family does this with all summer squash, mom prefers crookneck but hubby eats zucchini and pat pans done this way too.

Debbie, sounds like my cucumber 'patch'. It's is trying to take over the peppers on one side and the peas on the other! It's like walking through kudzu every time I go out there.
Pat pans are great if you pick the really young so that the skin is real thin, then slice up real thin, toss in a pot with butter/onion/salt/pepper and stew down to mush. My family does this with all summer squash, mom prefers crookneck but hubby eats zucchini and pat pans done this way too.
for any of the summer type squashes (not the orange winter squashes) I've sliced them thin (1/4 inch or so), pat dry on paper towel and dipped in egg, then seasoned bread crumbs and pan fried (till lightly browned).

I've also sautéed green pepper onion garlic and butter, until the onions turn opaque, then added the squash and cooked them until they're done but not mush. we prefer them hot but still firm.

for the orange winter squashes, I simply cut in half, core out the seeds, add 1tbsp of butter and a little water, sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, cover with foil and bake. it's done when the fork goes all the way thru. (my oven is flaky for temp, so times vary for me. LOL it's never predictable. some days it'll go up to 450, other days it won't go above 300. (temp is usually set at 450)

Last edited:
I like cutting summer squash into halves or slices, basting with olive oil and basil or rosemary/garlic (or your favorite herbs), and grilling on the grill. Only cook them until they start to get tender, remove and serve. :)

my mellons and cucumbers and squash all have mottled looking leaves...thinking itty bitty bugs maybe? I am trying to learn how to garden and obviously you guys are much more experienced...any ideas?

I would BET bugs! Little beatle beasties. I'm not sure exactly what you need to apply. Pop over to The Easy Garden (sister site to this one) and someone there can tell you what you need and how to use it.

(go to the VERY bottom of this page, there is a link to TEG)

It's these white ones that I'm full up with - miss one day and they go from this size to dinner plate size!

That's why aliens fly around in those things...
big_smile.png

Put 'em on the skeet thrower and shoot 'em with a 12ga before its too late!
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom