Virginia

I LOVE the pictures!!! who did you get the SG's from? someone local, I take it? nice!

I love the comb even if it does have sprigs...I love wiggly combs...so much personality!!!
lol yeah I met her at a swap last summer (lives in Floyd) and she needed to thin her flock a bit so I bought 2 girls off her then, and wanted her roo bad... but she wouldn't sell. but now her husband's retired and they're downsizing and moving to a smaller property, so she let the sg's go. she kept her black orps. I told her if she decided to let them go let me know... her roo is massive. (English orp I think).

might see about getting some eggs from her down the road, if anyone's interested in some (eggs or chicks).

Oh yeah, I totally agree. But these are our first chickens and we have no idea how to...get him on the table lol. We tried to ask around first how to get him processed with no luck! Any suggestions with that are great, too! He sure looks meaty ;)

I wasn't sure how to process our excess roosters either - watched videos and read as much as I could. But there's no substitute for actually doing the job and learning as you go. I learnt quite a bit about the process and how videos are generally made by people who have done it before so don't expect your outcome to mimic theirs exactly. Make sure you have a good sharp - and I can't emphasize that enough - method for chopping or cutting. Be prepared for Plan B in case things don't go according to your original thought. And if, like me, you've been raised in suburbs and never killed anything larger than a spider and even cry when you run over squirrels on the road - try not to look at them as they go through the shaking or flapping part. It got easier to deal with the processing by the 5th one - but it's still not an easy thing for me.

Here's the thread of my recent job and what I did with my rooster meat after it was finished. Hope it helps.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...r-my-1st-time-need-some-help/40#post_11536486

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/800676/what-should-i-do-with-my-rooster-meat-now#post_11580491

So I have a conundrum
2 blue eggs in my nest today, which leads me to 2 possibilities

1. My EE laid a egg yesterday (I checked yesterday but not last night or this morning) and a smaller bluer egg today.
2. My dorking (5 toes)/wyandotte is a dorking/EE (read weebie) and laid her first egg
-got her at Gilmanor as an 8 week old so that would make her about 17 weeks old, she did recently start getting red in the comb

My EE does have a color range to her eggs and the bottom egg is most definitely hers.

Thoughts???

oh and I cant look back at what the eggs have been the last couple days because my hubby and daughters ate them all for breakfast and being well trained crushed the egg shells and threw them to the chickens
barnie.gif
lau.gif
he.gif

So I have a conundrum
2 blue eggs in my nest today, which leads me to 2 possibilities

1. My EE laid a egg yesterday (I checked yesterday but not last night or this morning) and a smaller bluer egg today.
2. My dorking (5 toes)/wyandotte is a dorking/EE (read weebie) and laid her first egg
-got her at Gilmanor as an 8 week old so that would make her about 17 weeks old, she did recently start getting red in the comb

My EE does have a color range to her eggs and the bottom egg is most definitely hers.

Thoughts???

oh and I cant look back at what the eggs have been the last couple days because my hubby and daughters ate them all for breakfast and being well trained crushed the egg shells and threw them to the chickens
barnie.gif
lau.gif
he.gif
ok well looks like you got a weebledork. OR it was an EE hen with dorking roo... (not weeble...) honestly no real way to tell the weebies except for the fuzy legs, potential crest, or dark colored feet. and the dorking's pink skin overrides the dark legs every time. LOL nice light color to the egg tho... that's what I've been predicting their eggs would look like. guess for a first egg she's laying decently sized eggs. 8)

next year I might have some weeble/sfh type chicks. aka crested (and uncrested) calico with blue eggs. I think THAT would be an awesome use for extra sfh roos. 8)

and yes, my ee and dorks all started laying between 16 and 20 on average.

Last edited:
So I have a conundrum 2 blue eggs in my nest today, which leads me to 2 possibilities 1. My EE laid a egg yesterday (I checked yesterday but not last night or this morning) and a smaller bluer egg today. 2. My dorking (5 toes)/wyandotte is a dorking/EE (read weebie) and laid her first egg -got her at Gilmanor as an 8 week old so that would make her about 17 weeks old, she did recently start getting red in the comb My EE does have a color range to her eggs and the bottom egg is most definitely hers. Thoughts??? oh and I cant look back at what the eggs have been the last couple days because my hubby and daughters ate them all for breakfast and being well trained crushed the egg shells and threw them to the chickens:barnie :lau :he
My Vanilla Ice (silky/White Leghorn/Arucana) pullet lays a darker blue green egg like your bottom one. However she's just returned to laying this day after having been broody and her egg today resembled your top egg. So it could be from the same girl. It would make sense that she laid them both because they are similar in size and shape. Most of my pullets started with smaller eggs that got larger as they aged. Then again it could be the other girl's egg...time will tell :)

ok well looks like you got a weebledork. OR it was an EE hen with dorking roo... (not weeble...) honestly no real way to tell the weebies except for the fuzy legs, potential crest, or dark colored feet. and the dorking's pink skin overrides the dark legs every time. LOL nice light color to the egg tho... that's what I've been predicting their eggs would look like. guess for a first egg she's laying decently sized eggs. 8)

next year I might have some weeble/sfh type chicks. aka crested (and uncrested) calico with blue eggs. I think THAT would be an awesome use for extra sfh roos. 8)

and yes, my ee and dorks all started laying between 16 and 20 on average.

no fuzzy legs or crest, very pink legs, 5 toes so who knows

come to think of it I had a small blue egg (i said hmm thats different) a couple of days ago that I thought was from my EE pocohanas, but looking at my tracker she has laid for almost a week straight...which she never does...so the weebledork/dork egger might of snuck in a egg on her day off...

so is her breed a weebledork, a dork egger
lau.gif
, or a Easter Dork??????
Votes??? or other breed names??

I'm in Madison county about 25 miles from Charlottesville, VA thought I was the only Virginian here so glad I'm not but still like making new friends from all over

Back
Top Bottom