Virginia

I have five hens and a RIR rooster. Just got them last week. Was going to get chicks next month but kind if lucked it these. Kiddos love them so I don't think they miss the chicks so far. How about you?

I have five hens and a RIR rooster. Just got them last week. Was going to get chicks next month but kind if lucked it these. Kiddos love them so I don't think they miss the chicks so far. How about you?

Nope. I order a coop (i know should have built one myself). Was waiting for that to come and build everytjing before getting the birds. Need to add a "run".

There is a place in suffolk where u can get chicks and website said around February they available. Im interested to see if you or anyone has an special breeds that do good in our area.

I am going to build a bigger coop in March. Most of the feed and tack stores up here start carrying chicks around Theodore to end of February. I don't have pure breeds so I can't speak to them but the sex links I have seem to be pretty hardy and still lay when it's cold.

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome Nathan and Jamie! Nathan I live just past Suffolk in Windsor. I'm going to the Swap this morning. Indoor from 8 to 2 at the feed store on 460 every first Saturday. I have a white leghorn, three blue rocks, 2 barred rocks, 3 rir's, 3 red sexlinks, 1 EE and 2 black jersey giants. My rocks and Rir's lay the best for me with sexlinks and giants coming in second. All have done great in this horrible weather.

It's a heat wave! The girls love the weather. Gave one rooster to a friend as I had two and the rooster left has now gotten really aggressive with my daughter. He tried to bite her twice yesterday so I picked him up and put him in the kennel for a hour or so. Any ideas to mellow him to my daughter? He is a RIR which I have read are not the best with kids but I would hate to have to get rid of him too.

It's a heat wave! The girls love the weather. Gave one rooster to a friend as I had two and the rooster left has now gotten really aggressive with my daughter. He tried to bite her twice yesterday so I picked him up and put him in the kennel for a hour or so. Any ideas to mellow him to my daughter? He is a RIR which I have read are not the best with kids but I would hate to have to get rid of him too.

hatchery roosters of most varieties IMO are not great... if he's aggressive he'll likely stay that way IMO. the crockpot would be my suggestion. if you just want eggs, a roo is not important.

if you like having a rooster around, there will be plenty of nice roos available later this spring/summer i'm sure, from people who raise much easier to get along with breeds.

I know i'll have a large number of sfh cockerels, a few are not breeding quality but their personalities may be just fine for a flock guardian.

Any body need a Chicken tractor fairly reasonable - $200
We started with this and 6 hens - No wire on bottom to allow grazing and we coupled it with a Enet fence
and it worked great - we have two other mobil coops on trailers and don't need as we are building breeding pens and
its not getting use.

Its close to Chase City Area above Kerr lake

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom