Virginia

Mud, mud everywhere. and still raining.
but a least my garden is happy. and we just put down grass seed! (if it isn't washed away)

it's days like these that I am glad I don't have feather-footed chickens.

Here in Virginia too! My poor girls can't even walk out in there run right now with out being drenched! Anyway, I need some help. I got my first 16 chicks last spring from McMurray Hatchery. Got them all vaccinated. Well one in not a hen lol but he is a great big buff orpington Roo. He has been a really sweet guy, actually my kids favorites, but now that they have all matured and it is spring, it has all changed. My poor girls are featherless from him mating them and he has become very protective. Every time I try to even get close to the run he attacks. He doesn't do this to the kids or my husband but he does to me and my Aunt. I think the real issue is that he just desnt have enough space. I wasn't building my coop and run to accommodate a large roo.
So to the question.... What is the best way for me to find him a good home? Maybe someone on here with more land would want him, or maybe craigslist?

it's days like these that I am glad I don't have feather-footed chickens.
I do, thankfully they're still babies :) BUT...this rain makes me re-think keeping them. I hatched out 4 Mille Fleur's and they already have feet COVERED with feathers and they're only 2 days shy of 2 weeks. I think I'm going to sell them...they don't "do anything" for me, you know...like strike me as "Wow! These chicks are awesome! So glad I bought the eggs!", unlike the 4 Serama babies that hatched...I LOVE them. I guess Mille Fleurs just aren't a favorite for me.

That being said, anyone interested in some 2 week old Mille Fleur D'Uccle babies?? I have 4 of them :)

Buff Orpingtons For Sale!!! Culpeper, Brandy Station!

Buff Orpington Pullet, $14 OBO
Age:7 weeks and 1 day today, will be 8 weeks Tuesday ect.

Breed: Buff Orpington

Hatchery: Yes, Efowl

Pictures: Not yet

Pick-up/Drop-off info: My mom is full-term, so we can only travel somewhere very short distance, probably about 15 mins or less.

Extras:
This chick, is kept with all the other chicks in my signature. They were outside, but are now in our mudroom, due to all this rain, because our yard floods like crazy!

We do open up the boxes and put window screens on them in the day, so they have light.

If you have any questions just ask!! You don't have to PM me, but you can!

Buff Orpington Roo, $8 OBO
Same as hen, but he does have a name: Bud.

Here in Virginia too! My poor girls can't even walk out in there run right now with out being drenched! Anyway, I need some help. I got my first 16 chicks last spring from McMurray Hatchery. Got them all vaccinated. Well one in not a hen lol but he is a great big buff orpington Roo. He has been a really sweet guy, actually my kids favorites, but now that they have all matured and it is spring, it has all changed. My poor girls are featherless from him mating them and he has become very protective. Every time I try to even get close to the run he attacks. He doesn't do this to the kids or my husband but he does to me and my Aunt. I think the real issue is that he just desnt have enough space. I wasn't building my coop and run to accommodate a large roo.
So to the question.... What is the best way for me to find him a good home? Maybe someone on here with more land would want him, or maybe craigslist?
Hi there Annabellaknits! I am in the same position as you are! I got my chickens from McMurray last August. I didn't really want a Roo just yet, but my free exotic chick turned out to be one. He is an excellent protector, but is very aggressive. I'll be honest, the only reason he is still around is because his replacement is only a week old and he is very good at protecting the girls. Out of curiosity, what breeds are your hens? I have found that all 5 of my Americanas show feather breakage on their backs, whereas my 7 leghorns, one new hampshire and 2 hamburgs are not missing a single feather. "Willie" does not play favorites. It just seems the Americana's feathers do not hold up as well in my flock. Willie will be replaced when the time comes. Until then, I get to chase after a rooster daily.

I am not sure more land would help. We free range from sunrise to sunset on 11 acres and they even wander around my neighbors field. I understand it is quite common to get aggressive roosters from hatcheries. Craigslist may be an option. Good luck!

Good to know that it may just be his personality. Its just upsetting because he, out of the 16 I received, was the sweetest. But oh well I am going to have to do something here soon. Actually all my girls are pretty beaten up especially my little ones. I have an Austrlorp, Red Star, Hamburg, Leghorn, EE, Black giant, Phoenix, Brahmas and Cochin. The three small girls, hamburg, Leghorn and Phoenix are the worst off. The poor heads are even bear now from him holding on to them. He's gotta go!!!
I actually have some fertilized eggs coming and will use some of mine as well to replace him and I wanted to add a few more, welsummer, Olive egger mixes and Maran. SO hopefully I get a good hatch for my first time. I may even get more then expected and share with some other virginia chicken owners!

@annabellaknits . @FredC .

welcome-byc.gif
and the VA thread!!!

Good to know that it may just be his personality. Its just upsetting because he, out of the 16 I received, was the sweetest. But oh well I am going to have to do something here soon. Actually all my girls are pretty beaten up especially my little ones. I have an Austrlorp, Red Star, Hamburg, Leghorn, EE, Black giant, Phoenix, Brahmas and Cochin. The three small girls, hamburg, Leghorn and Phoenix are the worst off. The poor heads are even bear now from him holding on to them. He's gotta go!!!
I actually have some fertilized eggs coming and will use some of mine as well to replace him and I wanted to add a few more, welsummer, Olive egger mixes and Maran. SO hopefully I get a good hatch for my first time. I may even get more then expected and share with some other virginia chicken owners!
I've heard that roosters pass down their temperaments to offspring. No clue if it holds true in all cases. I have just done a bit of reading around here. So funny, I have welsummers, marans, cochins, and Buff Orphingtons in the brooder in my laundry room right now along with 9 freebie leghorn cockerels. Extras, Be careful what you wish for!

For me the sweetest males when young turn out to think you are supposed to be theirs and are the meanest as adults. While there has been no aggressive males EVER from my Russian Orloffs I have had at least one meany from each of the other breeds I have. I thought giving them more girls and more space would change it but truth is- it may just be you (me) not cooperating with what he wants:) Bachelor coips is how I give the ladies a break but that only leaves me dreading the fight with whichever male it is whrn I have to tend just him. After sulking and being amiable for the first few days of separation they always go back to pushing. Good luck because I think there is no one clear cut answer.

And no, the temperament isn't always passed down.

Back
Top Bottom