Virginia

PM sent - need to work out logistics
the primary problem with sandhill is the lack of predictability on when you'll get the chicks, and they have maximum limits for most breeds. I want colored dorkings, maybe 10 myself, they have rose comb and colored, usually had a limit of 10 per variety, so that would be 20 colored Dorkings max (I'm not picky about comb quality, I want the color genetics). they don't label which chicks are which, so if we mix breeds it might be helpful to pick ones that are easily identified as chicks.

Dh got me barrels for feed yesterday! I've been using the big Rubbermaid totes- more than 100 pounds of feed fit in the long ones and about 75 pounds fit in the smaller square like ones. They've worked great in the feed shed but with finishing hogs you go through so much feed so quickly! Barrels are temporarily in the well house closer to the animals until I get another feed shed built near the livestock. Currently I carry rationed feed and the water from the shed at the house all the way down to the animals. Good workout but a bit taxing;-) Next up is testing the well water to make sure it wasn't what killed several chicks/chickens last year before having it as a close water source. Currently have rainwater collection barrels which are awesome but sometimes run out of rainwater in Summer. Setting up a bigger collection system is on the "to-do" list for Spring too. Anyone else thinking ahead of the snow and ice to come?

Hello everyone,
Time to scale down on our breeds and amount of each breed again.
Anyone from Hillsville to Salem interested in an All White Cochin Bantam pair. Aged 6-7 months. About the time for her to start laying, the weather turned cold but feel certain as soon as Feb starts rolling in she will lay. I will take $10. For the pair.
Anyone interested in Phoenix Bantam pairs, About aged 12 months? Make an offer. Make an offer for all of them. If you do not live somewhere along the corridor of 77 & 81 from Wytheville to Salem and can not meet up at Christiansburg or Salem TSC parkinglot. sorry you would be too far out of my way. Let me know something if you are local and interested.
Thanks to all
Happy New Year.

Last edited:
Muscadine and scuppernong wine - best cholesterol medicine ever discovered and it tastes good too.
Is it better for you than other wine, from the vinifera (sp) grape? I have tasted some decent wines from eastern N.C. vineyards, lately and I'm thinking of planting some myself. I would rather use the local grape, since that would be easier to grow. Got to get back to drinking wine, better for you than other types of alcohol.

Originally Posted by finnfur:

Is it better for you than other wine, from the vinifera (sp) grape? I have tasted some decent wines from eastern N.C. vineyards, lately and I'm thinking of planting some myself. I would rather use the local grape, since that would be easier to grow. Got to get back to drinking wine, better for you than other types of alcohol.

can't say about the health properties, but chateau morrissette (located in Floyd Co VA) has an awesome white and red muscadine, but I prefer their mountain laurel wines (red and sweet (aka white)). was going to also try their sangria, but that bottle slipped out of my hands when I got home and made a slight mess on the floor. :hit

Last edited:
FREE
to any backyardchickens member;
Black Cochin Bantam Roo Aged 5-6 months
White Cochin Bantam Roo Aged 7 months
Phoenix Bantam roo 8-14 months:
2 Silver (Black & white) Phoenix Bantam roos
2 Barred (silver) Phoenix Bantam roosters

FREE TO BACKYARDCHICKEN MEMBERS THAT I CAN MEET UP WITH AT A TRACTOR SUPPLY PARKINGLOT IN WYTHEVILLE, CHRISTIANSBURG, & SALEM, or A Walmart along 77 & 81 from Wytheville to Salem. Girls taken but no takers on the roos.
If it is legal, I dont know the state laws, I could throw in a bottle of Duplin Muscadine or Scuppernong wine for each roo rehomed. A roo with his own gift of wine as long as your an ADULT. I give bottles of wine away as xmas gifts to some ADULT relatives and ADULT friends. Call it a late Christmas gift.

Last edited:
can't say about the health properties, but chateau morrissette (located in Floyd Co VA) has an awesome white and red muscadine, but I prefer their mountain laurel wines (red and sweet (aka white)). was going to also try their sangria, but that bottle slipped out of my hands when I got home and made a slight mess on the floor.
hit.gif

Our Dog Blue
love.gif

Yep and Wally world has a great selection of those NC wines - $7 ea

can't say about the health properties, but chateau morrissette (located in Floyd Co VA) has an awesome white and red muscadine, but I prefer their mountain laurel wines (red and sweet (aka white)). was going to also try their sangria, but that bottle slipped out of my hands when I got home and made a slight mess on the floor.
hit.gif

Drpped my cholesterol from high to normal in six months - just about 3 oz 3x week - but ya can have more if your in the mood.. Wife found out about it from a internet acquaintance whose cholesterol
was dangerously high - now normal - great stuff and tastes great too

Back
Top Bottom