Virginia

Im in virginia.. just starting out looking for good laying hens???

Welcome to the VA thread!
frow.gif

Quote:
just my 2 cents, you refer to 'selling at a loss'. IMO the loss comes from continuing to feed them. so when I have excess boys to deal with, if I can get ANYTHING out of them, I'm ahead of the game because now I don't have to feed them.
YES, I fed them. When I got them they must have lived their earlier 3 months locked up in cage or something bc they did not understand "free" and they constantly froze and tucked their heads and did not run for their lives like the other 100- 200 at the time. After about three months and they turned into roos It was time to find them homes. So even at selling them at a loss was better than keeping them when they would never lay an egg and other people needed a roo but could not afford what I paid for them. It is my fault. When I met up with the woman. I was in a hurry, she was in a hurry, they looked healthy. I had a long day on Saturday with a flock swap, an I had surgery on Monday. They looked healthy and they were. After I got them home they went in quantine and I went in for surgery and my hubby took care of them for ne till I could get down there and see them and I was TOLD by the Dr not to go around them with my open wound knee. I finally saw them a month later as. They were in with all the other hutches and houses. My hubby did a good job separating them. Chocolates with chocolates, reds with reds. But they had developed a bit more comb and wattles than I would have liked. I also found out just how timid they were to free range as my husband told me. Open the doors to all the houses every morn and they were the last to come out. Did not stray far from the house or hutch, like the others did heading for the creek or woods. Maybe wander in the field and stand a bit before turning around and heading back. Also, Getting so they were no longer as tolerate towards each other. They were not fighting with their brother roos but they were not as tolderant towards each other as time has passed and so rather than suffer the loss of the cost, it was better to sell them I finally decided. Recouping something was better than nothing as I already had two (chicolate)roos that were older that I raised from eggs. So selling them made since to me since I nolonger looked at them as pullets turning hens BUT as cockerils that would some day become Roosters that I did not need. My hubby said never take anyones word for it and check them. I said well they were healthy and she did say she is not very good at sexing chickens. Well I must not be either. In an ideal world keeping them would be good but not if I have no need for them and they are eating food. Those that got them...Needed them as they had gotten eggs to hatch from some one else or had even bought chicks from me and needed the roo. So I am better at sexing chickens when they are younger, And older but there is a window there that I am not very good at seeing their gender. Putting then aside and housing abunch of roos that are not as happy with each other as they used to be, is not ideal to me. For me it was better to let them go. This time I did not give them away, but $50.for a roo Is fifty dollars in my book and better than nothing. I do appreciate your input. I had held on to them and let them free range with food and water at their hutch and pen when they wanted to go in. But feed is getting expensive, so is their wood chips and straw. I am downsizing from 14 runs to 8 runs. That means less chickens. Not counting the barn and the 12x12 building, I also had 14 (10x10) kennel runs, that I have down sized to 8 (5x20). My bew metal carport they are under is a 20x41. With the two long sides enclosed. Along one side is being built, over half way done, houses. So I am downsizing the number if breeds an the number of chickens in each breed. Seemed to make sense, if they are not laying, or I have too many laying, or I have too Many roos. And aome one else needs a pure bred english roo. Let it go, give it or sell it and make someone else happy. I am a people pleaser and if I can make someone else happy I will. I do appreciate your input. I appreciate others input. I do understand your suggestion. But when my hubby learned the first could go for $100. And the last one I sold for $50. There is jo way he was going to go aling with my keeping them and i do have say so in that matter but the money seemed a better idea to him than him helping me take care of them. Pardon mispellings must close now.

Last edited:
Im in virginia.. just starting out looking for good laying hens???

Welcome neighbor!
This is not the best time of year to be looking.
I posted I am looking to give away some roos, a black Cochin Bantam and a white Cochin Bantam. They do NOT come with HENS.
I am looking to sell Chocolate English Orpington Bantams. One roo and two hens. Mated and laying.
I also have TWO Blue English Orpington HENS, aged 10 months and laying. both for $150. Sorry no roo. I am Downsizing.
I also have hutches and pens that I got from TSC that I no longer use and plan to take to Flock Swaps this Spring to sell after it warms up and I can paint them.
My questions are do you have a hutch and pen system already?
Are you looking for just a couple of hens for eggs to eat?
Are you seriously minded in wanting a hobby also?
Are you looking at ornamental?
Utilitarian?
Have you owned chickens or hens somewhere else in time?
I had a Master Plan.
Now my master plan has changed greatly.
Develope a Master plan based on what your needs are and what you like in a bird. For the most part the girls lay eggs eventually and their egg laying time period is different per breed. Your weather also dictates what works best for your area.
Fo warning... Chicken math.

So if you just want a couple of adult egg layers and your not in it as a hobby. The first flock swap in your area, TSC would be a good place to start.
Good luck on you venture to finding the right egg layers for you.

Last edited:
Hi Fellow Virginians!!!!

Since we all know how crazy the weather can be in the VA... wondering if any of y'all had ideas about good medium-large coop styles for our climate...

I live in Augusta County which is in the great Shenandoah Valley!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi Fellow Virginians!!!!

Since we all know how crazy the weather can be in the VA... wondering if any of y'all had ideas about good medium-large coop styles for our climate...

Thanks in advance!!!!

Welcome to The VA thread!

My girls weather down to -4° overnighters just fine here in Central Va, in a three sided coop that's open to the southeast. Ventilation that's relatively draft free is key, and broad roosting poles where their toes aren't exposed to the elements. 2x4's turned flat side up work well.

Hi Fellow Virginians!!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!
I have tried a pole building with runs.
Because I added more breeds, I then tried smaller housing each in separate square runs. I have now switched to a metal building. A 20x41. Two long sides with siding. Installing only 8 runs. Leaving several runs in the yard of discontinued chicken Breeds that are still loved but not allowing any eggs to hatch, or an excess of chickens I need ro rehome.
I recommend a covering such as a metal building/carport over the runs so when they are not free ranging they atleast have cover from the weather or preditor animal life.
a mid size?
What kind and how many.
I think those cute buildings are so cute and can be cuter if themed.
However for me that did not work. Chicken math! Oh I had ideas. I remember the cute houses hanging on the sides of the mountains on The islands in the MED. The Painted Ladies of SF, CA. Swiss chalets. So many themes to choose from. But not in chicken math or more than one breed. Those cute themed houses are then not a good idea with more than one breed, unless you dont mind a backyard mix. I dont want a backyard mix of breeds. Nothing wrong with a mixed breed, currently not for me. I considered Red sex link and Black sex link. Mixed breeds. But not now. Trial and error. Learn more from your mistakes.
IN chicken math. Chickens have a way of multiplying and having more than one breed? Need more separate space to lock up when collecting eggs.

Last edited:
Hello Virginians :)

My husband has been living there since he moved back home from Germany and we kind of adopted his fathers chickens (and goats and turkeys). When he wanted to sell them my husband knew better than to let him ;) Now we have chickens and I love it! :D

Hello Virginians :)

My husband has been living there since he moved back home from Germany and we kind of adopted his fathers chickens (and goats and turkeys). When he wanted to sell them my husband knew better than to let him ;) Now we have chickens and I love it! :D
Welcome! I am glad that you are loving it. I know that we all love it. Hopefully this year I can raise my first turkeys. That is if my husband will allow me. I think he is only worried about our egg layers and guineas rt now. I am ready to get some more meat birds, and goats. I am helping my 8 year old son look for pure bred Ameraucanas, Legbars, and Isbars as pets. He has a Faverolles cockerel. My 2 year old has a blue Cochin hen. Enjoy the farm life!

Back
Top Bottom