Virginia

Hello Virginians :)

My husband has been living there since he moved back home from Germany and we kind of adopted his fathers chickens (and goats and turkeys). When he wanted to sell them my husband knew better than to let him ;) Now we have chickens and I love it! :D
Welcome.

Thank you :)

Our grown turkey Abraham Lincoln doesn't get along with our rooster Napoleon :( But Abe will follow you around everywhere, he is really friendly. The other three are still a little young and always hang out together.

Has anyone of you ever had mites in winter? My husband said he found little red/orange bugs on himself after coming out of the barn.

Our grown turkey Abraham Lincoln doesn't get along with our rooster Napoleon :( But Abe will follow you around everywhere, he is really friendly. The other three are still a little young and always hang out together. 

Has anyone of you ever had mites in winter? My husband said he found little red/orange bugs on himself after coming out of the barn.
i have seen Fleas but not mites.

That sounds like a mite. I have never had issues with them. My brother had to get a "Mite Off" spray for reptiles. Our dragon or birds have never had them. I am wondering if the diatomaceous earth that the birds take a dust bath in helps? I know that the spray can be purchased at any pet store. I have yet to see it at a farm store, but the farm store may have another solution for your barn mites. Let us know what you find out. This info can help us all. We are here to help and learn from each other.

So you suppose when I have fed my chickens Concord, Thompson, Scruppernog and muscadine grapes I was instilling healthful properties to the eggs? Lol

gig.gif
Probably just about as many healthful properties as when they eat grasshoppers, worms, grubs and pick through the horse's manure...

Anybody need a black copper for an Olive egger project? Fox got my only Rooster last fall, so I collected from his pen for several days and set them in the Sportsman to get a replacement. A bunch of them hatched out. I'll be eating the culls in a couple of weeks unless somebody wants one. Nothing special bloodline wise, just something fun to play with if you're into multicolored eggs.

Anybody need a black copper for an Olive egger project?  Fox got my only Rooster last fall, so I collected from his pen for several days and set them in the Sportsman to get a replacement. A bunch of them hatched out. I'll be eating the culls in a couple of weeks unless somebody wants one. Nothing special bloodline wise, just something fun to play with if you're into multicolored eggs.
I have a Black Copper Marans Roo without any girlfirends. He is the only one that hatched from the ebay order during the heat of the summer. I need Black Copper Marans pullets and Lavender English Orpingtons pullets as I had a roo hatch from one ebay order and then I had to make another ebay order and got one pullet hatch out of that shipment. I got an ebay bid of Jubilee Orpingtons that two hatched out of 12 and they turned out to be Welsummers not Jubilees. The heat of the summer and the cold of winter, no more egg orders through the mail. Wow, I have learned. So anyone with Black Copper Marans or Lavender Orpingtons please let me know. I know people see my Lavenders and want their eggs, I am feeding back eggs to my chickens mixed in their mashy feed. The Barred are very busy laying eggs. I just got over 2 dozen eggs today and brought them in to mix up with kickin chicken, feed, large packet of carnation powdered milk and hot water tomorrow morning.

I was wondering, has anyone been abke to convince any of these apple orchards that sell cider to give them the smashed apples squezzings? Gosh I would think that would be great for my chickens. O am now offically out of apples and pumpkins. I ned to expand my orchard. My son, whom feeds my apples to squirrels is back in the hospital, not before he gave the squirrels my apples. These squirrels are getting a bit forward. I saw a pack of them running around a couple of trees when we got home late this afternoon. They are worse than the birds hitting up the grape vines.

What do you have in your orchard?

My in-laws gave us some cash to start a few fruit trees here. I'm thinking something both the bees and chickens can use would be best.

Anybody need a black copper for an Olive egger project? Fox got my only Rooster last fall, so I collected from his pen for several days and set them in the Sportsman to get a replacement. A bunch of them hatched out. I'll be eating the culls in a couple of weeks unless somebody wants one. Nothing special bloodline wise, just something fun to play with if you're into multicolored eggs.

I'm curious. How happy are you with the Marans? I have two blue Marans pullets left, but my guess is it will be at least a month before they even think about laying.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom