Virginia

22lilchickens, I saw an ad on craiglist tonight for 2 silkie hens and a rooster. If you search in the Charlottesville area they are located in Zion X Roads. I don't know if it's a breeder exactly, but maybe worth looking at.

I'm not really looking for a breeder breeder just so one that knows silkies , and yes I saw them but it's so far away from where I live, I kinda want to find some one I can order hatching eggs from in the spring

Waving a big Hello to everyone!!
frow.gif
From Clifton Forge VA here; 35 + miles NW of Roanoke, about 25 miles from West Virginia line half hour to 45 minutes NE to lexington va. Hoping to be in the Botetourt County area in the near future (looking for property there currently)....Just joined the New Years Hatchalong and will be setting up to a dozen mixed flock chicken eggs and was hoping to set several duck eggs but no luck on finding eggs nearby yet. Keeping fingers crossed though. Nice to meet you all!!!
ya.gif
woot.gif
celebrate.gif

Margo

In my opinion, it's not a good time of year to look for hatching eggs unless one can find them locally. I've read a few posts complaining about receiving frozen eggs that were mailed. With all the backyard enthusiasts it shouldn't be a problem locating local. I get fertile Welsummer, Welsummer X RIR and Welsummer X BO eggs. However, I have no desire to brood chicks in the house. I'll leave that to broody hens. In the spring I'll look for a Bresse roo, a couple more Bresse pullets and a couple lavender splash English Orpington pullets to go with the existing Bresse hen and English Orpington roo.
smile.png

Last edited:
@Woodsdweller I have heard about the frozen egg issues as well, although I have posted on facebook and on craigslist with no hits at all for any eggs. A bit depressing but I guess if its meant to be, they will show when needed. We have hatched and brooded several large batches of chicks indoors off and on for several years. We figured out a system to adapt them from one pen to another grow out pen. I love my babies and love watching them as they grow a little bit every day. Thanks for the advice, I do appreciate it and know that you are right. If I don't get local, I probably won't be able to get many viable eggs. Keeping fingers crossed for some locals to show in the near future. Thanks!!

Hey, Folks,
I'm interested in finding a source, in the Central Virginia area, to acquire either a dozen straight run dorking chicks or a dozen hatching eggs, this coming spring. Preferably in late February or early March. Color isn't an issue, though silver gray would be nice... Any thoughts appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom