Virginia

Why are all the chicken swaps so far from northern VA
Is anyone interested in ones up here, more north? And I wonder if someone could just hold one at there home or do a internet based swap for northern VA?

Hey, Folks,
I'm interested in finding a source, in the Central Virginia area, to acquire either a dozen straight run dorking chicks or a dozen hatching eggs, this coming spring. Preferably in late February or early March. Color isn't an issue, though silver gray would be nice... Any thoughts appreciated.

Capt, I'll be penning mine next month to start collecting eggs... not central but Roanoke area, if you're willing to drive or ship (eggs not chicks). Once I start hatching I won't be selling chicks right away, until they're grown a bit more and I can tell color, since I know ME and I keep forgetting to mark the eggs I collect. LOL

I'll have several pens with 1 or 2 girls in each. I have 2 SG boys (one got best of breed at the recent show in Knoxville) one 'dark' boy, a colored and 2 reds. These will be going with their respective hens, except the colored will get 1 SG and 2 off colored red girls. he also has best size and type, so that's why I'm putting the sg with him.

none of them are perfect, and I'm fighting side sprigs (not sure who brought them in but now to get rid of) so about 1/3 of my chicks are coming out with sprigs this year. Think I know which hen it was, she's no longer here, so crossing fingers for next year...

find me on fb if you want to talk more. I don't check byc as often as I used to.

pics are hen that took reserve breed. the cockerel wouldn't cooperate for the camera and the lighting wasn't the best, so everything had a yellow hue.
pictures taken by Leigh Schilling Photography (here's her art page, can't find the link for the photos right now)
https://www.facebook.com/Leigh-Schilling-Art-1599667873587737/?fref=ts

greyscale, just cuz. LOL

Karen PM me when you get this, please. Mahalo! Hey, Folks, I'm interested in finding a source, in the Central Virginia area, to acquire either a dozen straight run dorking chicks or a dozen hatching eggs, this coming spring. Preferably in late February or early March. Color isn't an issue, though silver gray would be nice... Any thoughts appreciated.
Capt, I'll be penning mine next month to start collecting eggs... not central but Roanoke area, if you're willing to drive or ship (eggs not chicks). Once I start hatching I won't be selling chicks right away, until they're grown a bit more and I can tell color, since I know ME and I keep forgetting to mark the eggs I collect. LOL I'll have several pens with 1 or 2 girls in each. I have 2 SG boys (one got best of breed at the recent show in Knoxville) one 'dark' boy, a colored and 2 reds. These will be going with their respective hens, except the colored will get 1 SG and 2 off colored red girls. he also has best size and type, so that's why I'm putting the sg with him. none of them are perfect, and I'm fighting side sprigs (not sure who brought them in but now to get rid of) so about 1/3 of my chicks are coming out with sprigs this year. Think I know which hen it was, she's no longer here, so crossing fingers for next year... find me on fb if you want to talk more. I don't check byc as often as I used to. pics are hen that took reserve breed. the cockerel wouldn't cooperate for the camera and the lighting wasn't the best, so everything had a yellow hue. pictures taken by Leigh Schilling Photography (here's her art page, can't find the link for the photos right now) https://www.facebook.com/Leigh-Schilling-Art-1599667873587737/?fref=ts greyscale, just cuz. LOL

Hi all! Well, I am happy to report that the chicks I got in late May and June are finally starting to pull their weight. My crested cream leg bar was the first to lay, in early November. She has been consistently laying about 6 eggs per week ever since. As of today, four others have joined her. After such a long dry spell, it is awesome to go out and find five eggs at one time. We have four more pullets who will hopefully get the idea any day now.

I was worried I would have to wait until spring for eggs, since the pullets are coming into maturity while the days are so short. Glad I was wrong. We actually got four eggs on the shortest day of the year.

Congrats on the freeloaders earning their feed, 2lilchkns.
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom