Virginia

What's your flock like? Currently we have 20 girls and 1 rooster. We have RIRs and some Ameraucanas and Araucanas.

Layer Coop 1
13 Hens and 1 Roo

Layer Coop 2
10 Hens and 1 Roo

Roaster Coop
20 Roos

We have Buff, Mottled, Chocotate, Blue, Black, and Splash Orps, Blue ameraucanas, Blue and Splah Andalusians, Columbian Rocks, Buckeyes, RIR, Red Stars, and Barred Rocks.

Amazing and awesome! Do your roos get aggressive with each other in the roo pen? Kinda concerned about having all of the boys together. I guess they establish a pecking order also?

Amazing and awesome! Do your roos get aggressive with each other in the roo pen? Kinda concerned about having all of the boys together. I guess they establish a pecking order also?

No, not at all. We allow our "roasters" to free range every day and we only keep them for five months. Plus we don't allow them near the girls. I think this helps keep the boys busy and less aggressive. We have a lot of rooster stare downs and crowing competitions but I haven't had any bloody or bruised roasters.

Are there any swaps in south side that anyone knows of for early 2016? How can I get this info? Thanks so much! I'm already loving joining BYC!

Check with your local Tractor Supply Store . If I remember right you are in Charlotte county? Not sure the distance but I know Appomattox TSC has a swap sometimes and also South Boston I have actually been to the one in South Boston

Thinking of placing an order with Sandhill for this spring. Anyone ever have issues with them shipping to VA? Did you use priority or express shipping?

I bought day old female chicks from Meyer. I bought five, they sent me an extra, one ended up being a rooster. they are friendly, not show quality, but healthy pullets. They are now 22 weeks old and two have started laying. Sometimes I see grow- out pullets available on CL. Hit or miss there.

Both McMurray and Meyer send Roos as there extra I hate that. Looking for more I testing birds like from papa poultry but he's so expensive?

Back
Top Bottom