Virginia

A word of warning CuzChickens... ReMe really likes to talk... especially about her favorite pastime.. Cluckers! The upside is loads of info
Haha. Thanks for the heads up
wink.png
. All of my friends know me and that if I am around, 90% of conversation will be poultry related.

I'm in Norfolk and looking for someone to help me get started. I don't want to kill a bunch of chicks just because I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll also be looking for someone to go "halves" with me when I do get hens. The "no fewer than six" law kind of stinks for someone that only wants three, like me.

This 'law'.. is it ACTUALLY a LAW??? Or maybe just a common rule that hatcheries and feed stores use???
How then do folks get away with selling single chicks at swaps???? At the big twice a year one just north of Richmond, I can walk around and buy 1 of those and 1 of these and 3 of those and 2 of these.... And I'm pretty sure EVERYONE else is doing the same thing?

This 'law'.. is it ACTUALLY a LAW???  Or maybe just a common rule that hatcheries and feed stores use???
How then do folks get away with selling single chicks at swaps????    At the big twice a year one just north of Richmond, I can walk around and buy 1 of those and 1 of these and 3 of those and 2 of these....  And I'm pretty sure EVERYONE else is doing the same thing?
Law but there are exceptions.

I think if you ALREADY HAVE chickens/ducks at home it does not apply.
I think that "rule" is more to prevent minors or some fru-fru from purchasing A single bird&trying to let it run around as some kind of novelty gift&such.. Plus money's always a strong motivater. Most people don't want to mess with a $5&under sale. Guess there passions for cash not so much the respect of the bird heritage.
Probably some person had no clue what they where doing,got caught up&wound up wanting to gripe publicallyy till they got what they wanted. Wrecks things for some of the rest of us.

I think if you ALREADY HAVE chickens/ducks at home it does not apply.
I think that "rule" is more to prevent minors or some fru-fru from purchasing A single bird&trying to let it run around as some kind of novelty gift&such.. Plus money's always a strong motivater. Most people don't want to mess with a $5&under sale. Guess there passions for cash not so much the respect of the bird heritage.
Probably some person had no clue what they where doing,got caught up&wound up wanting to gripe publicallyy till they got what they wanted. Wrecks things for some of the rest of us.
What do you mean most people dont want to mess with $5.& under? I paid $25-$175. A chick and share my chicken's off spring for $5. Each this year. In the past it was 2 for $5. And all Pure bloodlines. This site is really going down hill since I have been away. I have been extremely busy and have not had much time to be sitting on this site. I am surprised at the bad attitutes and gutter snipping and all out making jokes at others when the are friendly and assisting others in need of help from experienced chicken people. When I was not looking and busy elsewheres,...This site has really gone down hill.

Last edited:
I'm in Norfolk and looking for someone to help me get started. I don't want to kill a bunch of chicks just because I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll also be looking for someone to go "halves" with me when I do get hens. The "no fewer than six" law kind of stinks for someone that only wants three, like me.
Hi! What exactly did you want help with? And when are you planning on getting chicks? I will be selling chicks next year and would gladly sell you 3, but since when raising chicks, one or two always die in the very beginning, you would probably want to start with 4 or 5 and you will end up with 3 or 4. I looked on Google maps and we are 5 hours apart.

Hello Virginia! I have a Splash Maran pair for sale. They are about 4.5 weeks old. I am in Forsyth County, NC, but not too far from Virginia, so I thought I would post here too. If you are interested, let me know! $30 for both or $10 for the cockerel only. Won't sell just the pullet. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom