Virginia

I'm in Norfolk and looking for someone to help me get started. I don't want to kill a bunch of chicks just because I don't know what I'm doing.
I'll also be looking for someone to go "halves" with me when I do get hens. The "no fewer than six" law kind of stinks for someone that only wants three, like me.

Yes it is a law but says can't sell less than six as toy or novelty item - IE to stop the Easter colored chick sales way back when . However the big box like TSC follow it . But you can always pay for six and only take what you want. Most small breeders will just sell you what you want. Good luck

@REb
What three pullets are you hoping you wind up with? Breed specific&egg color laided please.
And are you wanting them to eat or for eggs or to hatch chicks? Sorry I get right down to the nitty gritty I lived near Norfolk we both no there's no time for games.lol

Pip,
I'm leaning towards the Orpington and Americana breeds right now. I'm still researching the Wyandottes and Austrolorpes too.
Eggs and exercise is my main goal. I live on a city lot, so space is an issue. I also travel a few days a month, so they'll have to be easy to maintain. I'll be having a neighbor care for them when I'm gone.

Pip,
I'm leaning towards the Orpington and Americana breeds right now. I'm still researching the Wyandottes and Austrolorpes too.
Eggs and exercise is my main goal. I live on a city lot, so space is an issue. I also travel a few days a month, so they'll have to be easy to maintain. I'll be having a neighbor care for them when I'm gone.

All good breeds for your situation. Another thing to think about is mixed breeds they are usually the hardiest and let the most as long as you know what breeds they came from.
My other suggestion is to make auto feeders and waters. Makes it easy to go away a few days and some people have had bad experiences allowing others to take care of there girls.

Pip,
Eggs and exercise is my main goal. I live on a city lot, so space is an issue. I also travel a few days a month, so they'll have to be easy to maintain. I'll be having a neighbor care for them when I'm gone.

Hopefully you wrote down instructions for them to go back on. Might seem easy to us but if no experience,it can be hard for a newbie. Hopefully with this time of year they mainly remember lots of water checks!

@room
Who can't wait to go see the "secret life of pets"!?

@Reb if a black americauna heritage/white sole shows up (1Rooster) I'm looking to give a special one of those a very happy forever home. I need to build a little bungalo first lol. Still working on old school laced polish high rise.
1f609.png

Lol
Hubbys already going ugh ANOTHER chicken development"project" in chickenville? His face says Do I look like a housing development supervisor to you lady? Hehee

Hubby makes these in two sizes. Food lasts at least 5/6days for 5birds.(factor in 3handfed-fulls of grass a day). Highly functional!(in not a false tale teller Espically when it comes to birds!)

Love the feeder design but I prefer plastic so it can be washed and dried
Either 5 gallon bucket with 90 fitting for 10 or less chickens or and plastic tub with 6 90 degree fittings
Makes simple work

Looking for MARE

Hello, do you have Jubilee English Orpingtons?
Do you live in the Virginia Beach area of Virginia?
Is MARE in your email and business name?
I am looking for you.
Please respond if this is you OR you know any one that closely resembles this "description" of mine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom