Virginia

Hey! I'm looking for recommendations on places to buy chicken coops in the local area. We live in Fredericksburg and are moving to a new house nearby in a month where we can finally have chickens! From what I have seen there are many small coops, but I am looking for something large, that could fit at least 15 to 20 chickens, as I expect to build up of the first year. Specific places to buy or maybe if you used a local person to build yours would be amazing. Thanks so much

I build my own but if I needed someone else to do it I would try to locate a shed builder that delivers on a truck/trailer. Not a shed sales location but a actual builder.
Most will build the way you want and with materials you want. But consider everything costs and quality mostly. We have a Amish shed builder local that people have used.
Good luck

Hey! I'm looking for recommendations on places to buy chicken coops in the local area. We live in Fredericksburg and are moving to a new house nearby in a month where we can finally have chickens! From what I have seen there are many small coops, but I am looking for something large, that could fit at least 15 to 20 chickens, as I expect to build up of the first year. Specific places to buy or maybe if you used a local person to build yours would be amazing. Thanks so much
You might also consider a RubberMaid (or one of the many other pre-fab sheds) out there. We picked up one of the mid-sized rubber maid sheds where the roof slides back for easier access and cleaning. Our birds are only in the coop at night but there have been a duck or two who have hatched a clutch of eggs in it as well. We insulated the outside with bales of straw that the ducks can't get to because of the fence surrounding the coop and immediate area. There are some pretty good deals out there on a few of the online sales forums, although scams are becoming a problem. Buyer beware, as the saying goes. This coop holds 6 to 8 birds comfortably for the night. Just a thought.

Any of you out there know if it is illegal to take a chicken across Virginia state lines?
I thought it was against the law to take a chicken across a state line without proper permiting. So, I
Have never taken a chicken, a rabbit, nor even a bee across the state line. When I moved back to Va I sold out or gave away everything bee, chicken & rabbit.

Pretty sure VA is one of the more strict states about transporting poultry. I think legally you may not transport poultry (hatching eggs included) without the clean and clear, proper permits.

Not 100% sure.

I have seen North Carolina plates at the swaps in the Tsc in Ridgeway Virginia bringing rabbits chicken pigs goats bees and honey. Ok

Last edited:
2 VAC 5-1140-90. Poultry.

A. Pullorum-typhoid.
Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be import­ed into the Common­wealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poul­try origi­nate exclu­sively from flocks participating in the National Poultry Improve­ment Plan (NPIP) or the National Turkey Im­provement Plan (NTIP) (Code of Feder­al Reg­ulations, Title 9, Chapter 1, Parts 1 to 199). These programs shall be under the supervision of the official state agency of NPIP or NTIP, the livestock health offi­cial, or other authorized government agency of the state of ori­gin certifying them to be free of Pullorum-typhoid.

B. Mycoplasma gallisepticum.
Hatching eggs and poultry shall not be import­ed into the Common­wealth of Virginia unless such eggs or poul­try origi­nate from flocks that are des­ignated free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum by the livestock health offi­cial of the state of origin. Each im­porter of hatching eggs or poultry into Virginia shall secure from the State Veterinarian an approv­al number, after having pro­vided evidence that the flocks of origin are free of Mycoplasma Gallisepticum. This approval number shall appear on shipping labels or contain­ers of each lot shipped into Virginia.

D. Exceptions.
This regulation shall not apply to hatching eggs or poul­try pass­ing directly through the Commonwealth of Virginia in in­terstate commerce, nor to poultry import­ed into the Common­wealth of Vir­ginia for immediate slaughter and consigned directly to a poultry process­ing establishment that is ap­proved and inspected by the United States Department of Ag­riculture or by the Vir­ginia De­partment of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

Back
Top Bottom