Virginia

i was at a sale where the woman next to me bragged that she always sold out at any swap. i informed her that i could not raise a chicken for $5 so she was losing money by selling so cheap. i took my chickens home and killed them the next morning and my wife canned them for the winter. see, i would rather eat mine than give them away for $5

VIRGINIA HERE TOO!!! LAKE GASTON/BRACEY VA! Lots of land for the girls! You're not alone
1f917.png

i was at a sale where the woman next to me bragged that she always sold out at any swap. i informed her that i could not raise a chicken for $5 so she was losing money by selling so cheap. i took my chickens home and killed them the next morning and my wife canned them for the winter. see, i would rather eat mine than give them away for $5

Dittos - Its why I don't go to sales or swaps with my birds- If someone wants quality Delawares they will find me.
We don't have enough for our own table anyway.

Where?

my point being that these small swaps are a waste of my time. as long as people are willing to 'give away' their birds, rather than eat them, themselves, they are keeping prices down for the real breeders. i will sell mine online from now on except maybe the spring gilmanor swap. i am glad that she got rid of her unwanted roosters and that someone got some cheap chickens to take home and eat. i had 8 birds leftover last year and killed them and ate them myself. this year i had 3. i would not mine having 20 extra to kill so maybe i will raise even more next year. my prices are going up as i have to buy food and take care of them. i dont have any $5 rooster.

I am trying to sell two roosters right now, for $10.00/apiece, nobody at livestock swaps wants them because ''everybody else is cheaper'' I am about to just eat the dang things even though I do not want to.

Back
Top Bottom