Virginia

Hey FFF!
I’m in Loudoun way up in the north west corner, Between the Hills. I”m restarting my chickens this spring, having lost all last fall to predators. I’m planning a Fort Knox complex now. It probably won’t hold off the occasional bear we get, but everything else including the eagles will be stymied! I’m shopping hatching eggs today. What are you up to?
Janet Brown
[email protected]

Hello Janetnva - Happy New Year. I'm not too far from you. We moved to a 10-acre farmette in Hamilton after living in downtown P'ville for 17 years. Farming is going to be an interesting, new experience for us. Game plan is: egg laying chickens, pasture broiler chickens, a couple bee hives, and a good size vegetable garden. That's the game plan - we'll see what reality is later in the year
smile.png
. I built a couple pasture pens in the fall, a brooder last month, and a chicken coop while on vacation between Christmas and New Year's. I've attached few pics.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your chickens. I'm sure that can be sad and frustrating. Good luck with the new Fort Knox coop. Our neighbors lost over a dozen chickens to a fox and another neighbor lost a couple to a hawk. So, I'll be looking for advice and suggestions from the BYC Community on how to minimize the risk.

Good luck. I'm sure we'll chat again.

Dan

Hope you can flush out the predator and take care of it or you will Suffer the same over again. Sending pm.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom