Virginia

Hey Hey Hey , Sharon here from Hopewell, Virginia. I am new to this chicken thing. I am raising 5 hens, Rhode Island Reds, for eggs ...My husband says they are $50.00 eggs right now for all the money we hve put into them...I love my hens ...and in loving them, I have been giving them treats in the morning and in the afternoons..they love that, but they are not laying as they should ..I think they are not eating enough layer crumbles..so I made a decision ..I will clean their coop in the afternoons instead of the morning ...and give them a treat then so they will eat all day ...they will not be happy at first, but they will adjust :) I hope!

Hey Hey Hey , Sharon here from Hopewell, Virginia. I am new to this chicken thing. I am raising 5 hens, Rhode Island Reds, for eggs ...My husband says they are $50.00 eggs right now for all the money we hve put into them...I love my hens ...and in loving them, I have been giving them treats in the morning and in the afternoons..they love that, but they are not laying as they should ..I think they are not eating enough layer crumbles..so I made a decision ..I will clean their coop in the afternoons instead of the morning ...and give them a treat then so they will eat all day ...they will not be happy at first, but they will adjust :) I hope!

Hi Sharon. How old are your ladies? Ours were kind of sporadic until they were probably 7 or eight months old. Now we average 4 a day from our 5 hens. Also, we had a problem when predators started snooping around. That was the only time our production went down.
I think your hubby is on point with the costs too.Between our coop and run, we spent quite a bit. But now we have Chicken Fort Knox. lol

Rob

Building a hoop coop.
20171021_173204.jpg

View attachment 1177079 View attachment 1177079 View attachment 1177079 Third Annual Cream Legbar Club Online, Virtual Show

Rules for the Show:

1. Pictures of the entry birds should be unobstructed, close up views with profile views preferred.
2. Pictures should be visually appealing and taken by you.
3. Pictures must be of living birds.
4. Pictures must have been taken within two months of the show start and end date, November 1 - December 22, 2017. Although not a requirement for this show, a digital date on the picture is helpful.
5. Pictures of birds must be posted on the Cream Legbar Club Third Annual Online, Virtual Show Facebook event page.
6. Entries will be accepted from November 1, 2017 – December 22, 2017.

Categories of Entries:

1. Varieties of Entrants: Cream Legbars, Golden Crele Legbars, and White Legbars
2. Entrants must be labeled as: Cocks, Hens, Cockerels, or Pullets

Judging and Results:

1. The best and reserve cock, hen, cockerel, and pullet for each variety will be determined.
2. The best and reserve variety will be determined from the best cock, hen, cockerel, and pullet within that variety.
3. The best and reserve in show will be determined from the best in variety champions.
4. The current Revision 4 of the draft Standard of Perfection (SOP) for the cream legbar will be used for judging. This draft SOP will also use the current drafts for the golden crele and white legbars in combined SOP format.
5. The judging will be done by an APA registered/licensed poultry judge (if available).

Awards:

1. The Best in Show and Reserve in Show winners will receive a one year paid membership to the Cream Legbar Club
2. Only one award membership will be granted per entrant.

Recommendations:

1. When adding your entry to the Facebook event page, please ensure that you title your entry with the variety and label of the bird to be entered.

Examples: Cream Legbar Cock; White Legbar Hen; Golden Crele Legbar Cockerel; Cream Legbar Pullet, etc.

This will greatly facilitate judging of the bird and eliminate any confusion of the variety that you believe the bird to be.

2. The judging will be done by an APA registered/licensed poultry judge (if available). So do your best to present your birds in show condition. If this were a live show, the judge would examine and pick up the bird. As such, the judge would expect to find birds freshly bathed and in peak condition.

3. Show birds have attitude!! They unfailingly have a sense of who they are and this message comes across loudly in the pictures of the bird. This, too, is a point of judging birds in a show. How does the chicken carry himself or herself in presenting themselves to other chickens and people? Capturing this attitude in a picture can make all the difference especially since the APA judge is unable to pick the bird up or observe the bird’s behavior in an online show.

4. Pay attention to lighting and setting. An artist will always ask “What is the light doing to the colors?” Your birds will show better in good lighting rather than a dark corner.

5. Chickens do not naturally pose for pictures! Try to take a lot of pictures and choose the one that best shows your bird. Ideally, you would like to see a relaxed inquisitive bird in the picture rather than a frightened bird chased into a corner.

As always, we wish everyone the best of luck in this online show. We are really looking forward to the great pictures of your birds and the results of the great work that you are doing to support the legbar breed and its varieties!
FINAL NOTE: As noted in the judging section, we will use the current draft Revision 4 of the Cream Legbar SOP as posted on the club website. This revision 4 will be presented in a combined SOP format with the Golden Crele Legbar and White Legbar draft SOPs. We are seeking the APA judge’s and your comments particularly on the Golden Crele Legbar SOP. All legbar varieties use the same shape and physical structure of the male and female, this will be evident as you peruse the draft Combined SOP.

Attachments

• Third Annual Cream Legbar Online, Virtual Show_page_1.jpg
    Third Annual Cream Legbar Online, Virtual Show_page_1.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom