Virginia

Welcome to the VA thread @roseytheriveter I’m up Near DC.
I have a RIR too. She is definitely at the top of the pecking order but she isn’t mean. I also have a lt Brahma and an Easter Egger.
I have some chicks coming next week to supplement my flock as I only gave 3 girls. Some unsexed Marans, a cream legbar and a Smaaland. Can’t wait!
@Susan Dye does your Orpington lay pink eggs? That’s a color I don’t have so am interested:)
Hi there! Where near DC? My son and his wife live in Tysons Corner. My Rhodies aren't mean at all, unless my dog tries to mess with them...they fluff up huge and it's hilarious.

I don't know if this will show up very well...
1520967225527.jpg

They really are beautiful birds.

Just seeing this VA thread! I'm in Montgomery county, southwest VA. I was raised in Botetourt Co. Very familiar with shenandoah valley area, not that far away.
I am a new chicken momma to 4 hens that are 5 months old. We've had them a week now and getting into a somewhat routine. We have 2 black barred rocks and 2 red sex links. So far only 1 of each is laying, but I'm not concerned since they've endured a move. We're going to free range them once we feel they and we are comfortable enough with the idea.
So glad to meet yall!

That makes sense @Susan Dye. I noticed when I had chicks in the fall, my low in the pecking order Easter Egger was the meanest to the chicks. The top just ignored them. Funny how the bullied becomes the bully. I’ve heard you can isolate the bully for a few days to mess up the pecking order but I have never personally tried it... think it might be worth a try in your flock?
You know, if she was inflicting any actual damage to either one of them, I would give it a try. I'm going to be introducing another couple of pullets this spring. Give her some new targets.LOL If she gets out of hand with them, I'll separate her. If it doesn't work, I'll rehome her. I think if she went someplace new, where she would be starting at the bottom of the pecking order, or where there is a rooster to keep her in check, it would take the fight out of her.

So I guess not all Orpingtons lay pink eggs... that’s frustrating. Your buff’s eggs sound cool~ Love to see a pick!
Okay, I'm going to try to post some pics. Don't know if you will be able to see the true color. I put Betty's in the middle of some of the palest eggs and included one of my sex link's dark eggs for contrast.
20190223_151150.jpg
20190223_151009.jpg

Okay, I'm going to try to post some pics. Don't know if you will be able to see the true color. I put Betty's in the middle of some of the palest eggs and included one of my sex link's dark eggs for contrast.View attachment 1682149 View attachment 1682150
Aw, the color just doesn't show up as well under lights and of course it's totally overcast and raining out today, so no good natural light. In one of the pics, Betty's egg has a light spot on the top. That's the egg, not the lighting:) She's only recently started laying again after taking off for the winter. I'll update when I can get good natural light.

Back
Top Bottom