Virginia

I have 5 different kind of chickens. Moved to Portsmouth Va about 5 years ago from Wyoming where I raised several hundred chickens on yhe ranch there. I got my little hens only to find out now Portsmouth doesnt like them. It is breaking my heart to think of having to get rid of them.

See if you are grandfathered in. I used to live on River Shore in Southampton Estates. We could have chickens as we were once part of the truck farms.

Churchland High School's mascot is the Truckers. Truck FARMERS, not long range drivers, lol.

Do yourself a favor and head straight to City Hall and Zoning. Ask the for copies of the ordinices. Do not accept opinions. Five years ago chickens were most certainly legal in Southampton Estates.

Let us know how things go.

I posted an updated photo in the other thread, but here it is:

I'm working on a few options to find a new home, but will not re-home until that first crow. Funny thing is, there is a home a few blocks from here with chickens, ducks, and other fowl. Walking by on Friday, I could hear a rooster crowing. Perhaps the neighbors on that side are okay with the rooster, but discussions with mine have made it clear I will be following the rules and keeping no roosters in my backyard flock.

Should anyone on here be looking for a mellow EE rooster, let me know, as I haven't been able to confirm with anyone, yet!!

I'm working on a few options to find a new home, but will not re-home until that first crow. Funny thing is, there is a home a few blocks from here with chickens, ducks, and other fowl. Walking by on Friday, I could hear a rooster crowing. Perhaps the neighbors on that side are okay with the rooster, but discussions with mine have made it clear I will be following the rules and keeping no roosters in my backyard flock.

Should anyone on here be looking for a mellow EE rooster, let me know, as I haven't been able to confirm with anyone, yet!!
ok from that photo, yes, i'll agree it's a roo... sorry.

If he's your only rooster and docile - he may not crow until he's startled by something or feels threatened in some way. I had 4 White Leghorn cockerels and only two ever crowed. The other two kept their beaks quiet so as not to get beat up by the two that crowed all the time. Finally they all crowed the day I rehomed 3 of them. As soon as they were put in the carrier they started crowing like crazy.

You could put an ad on Craigslist - offer him at a price that's higher then chicken in the grocery store and you'll likely get someone who wants a rooster and not a meal. Of course when you get closer to your deadline you can lower your price or when the person comes who wants him you could discount the price. I recently offered my two 22 week old cockerels for $10 each and the very nice woman who purchased them both wanted protectors for her flock. I met her half way on the driving distance, but to me that was preferable to eating them or selling them cheaply to someone who wanted a meal rather than a pet/livestock.

Sorry about your cockerel - hopefully you can find a nice home for him.

well, they're 19 weeks old now, and have been laying for about 2 weeks. so 17 weeks at first egg... i was off by a week on counting...

then again, i do free range everyone from the earliest possible age. i wonder if that makes much of a difference. because my dorkings are typically slow growers, and i just got my first egg from the oldest pullet today, who hatched mid march. so that puts her at about 21 weeks old now. i don't do anything to push them to lay, just normal daylight, free choice feed in the evenings, free ranging all day...

here's a pic of her taken about 2 weeks ago... and i'll tell you, she's one beefy little girl. LOL ought to weigh her for the record.
(mature dorking hens range 6.5-7.5 pounds)
I just love your Dorkings!

OMG! LOVE HER!!!
Beatlejuice chicken! Itty-bitty head / great big body!

At least it's not the other way around! LOL!
lau.gif

Is there a list somewhere of the breeders here in VA and what breeds they have???
I was going to just go through this thread and make a list - then I saw that it was 2000+ posts
th.gif

Is there a list somewhere of the breeders here in VA and what breeds they have???
I was going to just go through this thread and make a list - then I saw that it was 2000+ posts
th.gif
I don't think there's a specific list of breeders in Va here. They have them listed on petchickens of Virginia if you'd like to visit that site. I breed old heritage Barred Rocks, Delawares, New Hampshires, Rhode Island Reds (SC), columbian rocks, bantam barred rocks and bantam buff brahmas.

Back
Top Bottom