Virtual Other Fowl Calendar Contest - Landscape Format - Ends 12/31/2023 at 11:59 pm

Please forgive my curiosity… I’ve been wondering why does your profile say Keeper of Moldy Birds? 🤔
It's because a lot of my chickens are looking absolutely terrible. They've been all plucking each other, with a lot of them have bald spots (that's including the backs on a couple, even though I don't have a rooster). This is one of them in a picture I took the other day:
(Not Entry)
20230821_103616.jpg

And that hen isn't even my worst looking chicken; she's only got a plucked spot on the front of her neck! I've had a couple that look like Turkens! I've been battling this plucking issue since last year. Thankfully, I *think* I've finally found a method to at least slow down the feather pluckers and I have a couple of hens who are greatly improving their looks.

As far as the term "moldy," it's the best way I can describe how my birds look.

As far as the term "moldy," it's the best way I can describe how my birds look.
Molty would be a better term since they do not look moldy which is a fungus.

" mold·y
/ˈmōldē/

adjective
covered with a fungal growth that causes decay, due to age or damp conditions.
"moldy bread"
synonyms: mildewed, mildewy, musty, moldering, fusty, blighted, smutty, decaying, decayed, rotting, rotten, bad, spoiled, spoilt, decomposing, decomposed, rancid, rank, putrid, putrescent, putrefying, mucid"

Molty would be a better term since they do not look moldy which is a fungus.

" mold·y
/ˈmōldē/

adjective
covered with a fungal growth that causes decay, due to age or damp conditions.
"moldy bread"
synonyms: mildewed, mildewy, musty, moldering, fusty, blighted, smutty, decaying, decayed, rotting, rotten, bad, spoiled, spoilt, decomposing, decomposed, rancid, rank, putrid, putrescent, putrefying, mucid"
Maybe, but to me, moldy sounds better. Moldy might be a term that only my family uses. I believe it started with real mold (that was growing all over our covered porch), and now we describe things that look messed up, terrible, ugly, and things like that. It has become one of those words that best describes things in those categories, specifically because most of the time we can't find the right word that fits better than "moldy." (On a side note, the word moldy is very familiar in my family because we've grown up in a house that had been growing mold in it for years.)

On a side note, the word moldy is very familiar in my family because we've grown up in a house that had been growing mold in it for years.)
The house we bought two years ago (that I’m living in now) had serious mold problems. We actually had to move out for several months.
Thank you for explaining that to me! I felt idiotic for asking but couldn’t figure out what it could possibly mean.

Maybe, but to me, moldy sounds better. Moldy might be a term that only my family uses. I believe it started with real mold (that was growing all over our covered porch), and now we describe things that look messed up, terrible, ugly, and things like that. It has become one of those words that best describes things in those categories, specifically because most of the time we can't find the right word that fits better than "moldy." (On a side note, the word moldy is very familiar in my family because we've grown up in a house that had been growing mold in it for years.)
The smell of mold is horrible.

The house we bought two years ago (that I’m living in now) had serious mold problems. We actually had to move out for several months.
Thank you for explaining that to me! I felt idiotic for asking but couldn’t figure out what it could possibly mean.
That's sad. We never had to move out of our house like you did. Have you been able to remove any of the mold? The house I grew up in (my mom still lives there and I moved next door), has had a lot of the mold removed.
You're welcome. Oh, don't worry about it like that. On my title, "Autistic Chicken Lover," I had quite a few people asking what it meant, so I guess I have a little bit of a history of confusing titles. I've been expecting someone to say something about my current one, and you're actually the first person to say anything.

Back
Top Bottom