Visceral Mareks confirmed - which breeds tend to be resistant

SweetandSavory

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
Good morning. We have Mareks, a very virulent strain of it and its breaking my heart so in the future I'm hoping to start off with the odds in our favor. We live in upstate NY so need a cold hardy breed. I had hoped to have a rainbow of eggs but so far my Easter Eggers have been hit hard, (4 out of 8 and 1 thats touch & go). I've lost 1 Amercana (we have 5 left) , but they'll still young and its early in the game. In addition we've lost a Cream Crested Legbar (we have 1 left). Our flocks also consists of a few Black Copper Marans, 2 Olive Egger roosters (plans to raise a few hens) and a Swedish Flower hen (all still very young so who knows what will happen in the next few weeks/months)

Anyone have an insight into breeds I should consider?

Thank you in advance for any and all thoughts!

Last edited:
There is no specific breed that is resistant, but some breeders have bred their birds to be Marek's resistant. Knowing that you have Marek's in your flock, you need to make sure that any birds added to the flock are vaccinated, whether from resistant lines or not.

There is no specific breed that is resistant, but some breeders have bred their birds to be Marek's resistant. Knowing that you have Marek's in your flock, you need to make sure that any birds added to the flock are vaccinated, whether from resistant lines or not.

I had read somewhere on here about resistant breeds, maybe thats old info. Still reading up about vaccinations and breeding resistance. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom