Visible organs protruding..not from vent

crysi727

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 20, 2013
Spencer, Massachusetts
Hi all,

My chick, Peepers, appears to have fly strike. We have been treating her since last night, using the advice from threads here. (Which have been extremely helpful, thank you).
We cleaned her with chlorhexadrine, removed as many maggots as I could find, (it was awful). My poor girl barely fussed the whole time. I squirted almost 720cc hydrogen peroxide on the affected area and this morning I gave her an Epsom salt bath. I will be repeating the whole process, with the exception of the peroxide 2-3 more times today.

Last night I noticed bulging coming from the spot where the majority of the maggots were. It's below the vent. They seem to have eaten a hole below her vent approx 3-4 inches in diameter. A sac is protruding containing what appear to be her internal organs. The lining around the sac is hanging on by a thread in some spots and I fear the worst.

She is eating and drinking normally and is under the heat lamp in the shower of out 2nd bathroom, off our bedroom so I can keep a very close eye on her throughout the day.

ANY advice would be appreciated. We have no vets in the area that handle poultry so my options in that direction are extremely limited. I do have a tractor supply in the next town however.

It seems like you've been doing everything right so far. I'm not sure what you could do about the hole as an infection would be deadly and stitching it up might be difficult or just make it worse.... However I would try and boost her immune system by adding a clove of garlic, echinacea tincture, apple cider vinegar or an aloe leaf to her water. I would also feed her scrambled eggs with probiotics or cultured yogurt sprinkled on top.

I hope someone can advice you with what to do with the hole. Good luck!

I'm going to try the apple vinegar and garlic into the water. I'd like to investigate the implications of trying to stitch her back up. I'm a nurse and I'm familiar with stitching humans, just not poultry
1f612.png
Thank you for suggesting scrambled eggs with yogurt on top. I also have probiotic capsules and may try sprinkling a few crystals on it for her.

It breaks my heart when one of my feather babies is sick, they're like family to us. We don't eat meat, so they're like friends with benefits LOL
1f606.png
1f606.png

Back
Top Bottom