Visitor Last Night

@Howard E, I'll post pics of my setup once it's installed in the next few weeks. I have a lot of predators around. The rabbit population, which I encourage because my hounds love to hunt them, keeps them pretty full. I consistently find tufts of rabbit fur, legs, an occasional skull, and other signs of predators. Mostly coyote and bobcat. I've seen skunk, raccoon, and have heard of an extremely rare bear/moose visit but that's like winning the lotto (it does happen to people!) where I live.

It's also about them getting a taste. If an animal is actively hunting, they are looking for known prey, which are things like rodents, rabbits, wild birds, small mammals, etc. and not generally chickens. This cat walked right by my chickens, in broad daylight, without even looking at them. It also could care less about me, typical for a cat! :D :D

Not that I'm taking any chances...hence the fencing :)

I'll see if I can find one of the videos I took.

Foxes are crazy! We had one around for years,walk through the yard with chickens all around,never took one. He got hit by a car and now we have a major pain of a fox! Will try to get one with 3 dogs in the yard and me standing just feet from the chicken! Bold as brass! I swear he knows when I don't have the gun.:rant
We have a fox now he visits regularly and we haven't lost any hens so far, Whenever I see a fox killed by a car I say: please God not our fox.
I caught him once in a rabbit snare and cut him loose.

Here's a BIG bobcat I got on a game cam at the top of my driveway, about 70 yards from the house ! This was B.C. ….. Before (my) Chickens !!

IMG_3427.JPG

I saw her once while deer huntin, but didn't take the shot on her. In hindsight, maybe I shoulda !

We have a fox now he visits regularly and we haven't lost any hens so far, Whenever I see a fox killed by a car I say: please God not our fox.
I caught him once in a rabbit snare and cut him loose.
I understand. The old fox was great to have around. Never bothered a thing and I liked watching him. The goats would just watch him go by. But this one we have now is a pain! He's gotten a lot of chickens from my stepson and I this past year. My chickens are pets and I hate to loss them that way. Wish this fox was like the old one.

Back
Top Bottom