Vitamin B dose

MADREdeGallinas

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2020
Southeast Texas
Hey there BYC!!! This is my first post and I am also a fairly new to chickens. I have 2 hens, about a year and half now. They are "exotics" so I'm not exactly sure with which breeds they were crossed with. The reason for my post is my girl Paulina has been non-weight bearing and toes curled on one of her legs this week. She doesn't seem to be in pain. She's able to get to her food and water. She's able to get up the ramp to the coop to sleep. She is currently laying. I recently introduced a young, same-sized rooster to the ladies. I'm thinking he may have injured her when mating perhaps, thats just my guess. My question is, could I give her human vitamin B and what would be the dose. I did some research here on BYC on vitamin B and its effectiveness on healing/deficiency. Please advise on whatever you guys think could be going on to my sweet girl.

Thank you! She's not too big, I'd say she's petite. Here is a picture of how she's holding it up. I was unable to upload the video. However, this is how she's "hopping" around the coop. To eat she lays on her good side while still holding the bad leg in. I went ahead and wrapped her leg around the joint for some support, seemed to help right away. I've separated her from the others as well.
15856635451367826627712195140286.jpg

Thank you! She's not too big, I'd say she's petite. Here is a picture of how she's holding it up. I was unable to upload the video. However, this is how she's "hopping" around the coop. To eat she lays on her good side while still holding the bad leg in. I went ahead and wrapped her leg around the joint for some support, seemed to help right away. I've separated her from the others as well. View attachment 2069306
Poor thing!
Glad that the wrapping seems to help.
For her size I would use 1/4 tablet B-Complex. You can't really od on b vitamins, excess is excreted, but I would start on the lower end.

So my sweet girl is still recovering. I changed her bandage support Sunday. She seemed to be eating less and very fatigued. I am so worried that she is not going to make it 😭 she hasn't layed any eggs either since 2 weeks ago. I dewormed her, been giving her vitamin B. I even tried feeding her medicated chick food. PLEASE HELP!
20200405_163931.jpg

So my sweet girl is still recovering. I changed her bandage support Sunday. She seemed to be eating less and very fatigued. I am so worried that she is not going to make it 😭 she hasn't layed any eggs either since 2 weeks ago. I dewormed her, been giving her vitamin B. I even tried feeding her medicated chick food. PLEASE HELP!
Did you ever figure out if it was broken or she had swelling of the joint?

Hard to know, but I wonder if she's having a hard time adjusting to the leg being bandaged?
Can she move around o.k.?

Did you ever figure out if it was broken or she had swelling of the joint?

Hard to know, but I wonder if she's having a hard time adjusting to the leg being bandaged?
Can she move around o.k.?

I was able to really examine ansmd manipulate her leg. Her joint is still a bit swollen, she's not verbalizing pain, it seems like she did twist her elbow with some possible ligament damage. When i removed the bandage, I left her to watch her mobilty....she either just stood there with the leg up again or she'd lay down. So thats why I re-bandged her.

So sorry for your loss. If you still have her body, you could keep it cold wrapped in a bag on ice in a cooler, and send or take it to your state poultry lab tomorrow for a necropsy. I think there are several in TX. I worry a little about possible Mareks disease, but it may be something else. Here is a list of TX poultry labs:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

Back
Top Bottom