1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Vitamin C and probiotics?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sueche, Nov 20, 2011.

1. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Can I add vit. c to the girls water. One of them has a upper respiratory infection ( i am guessing) . I don't want to use antibotics unless I have to.
    Could I feed her a probiotic to help clear it up??

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    Hi sueche,

Unlike us and guinea pigs, chickens make their own vitamin C. Adding it will do no good against a respiratory disease, unfortunately.

Probiotics won't hurt, and may give a boost if there are problems in the gut. Yoghurt and kefir may provide some benefit because B vitamins (contained in both) can help the immune system. Perhaps an all-round poultry vitamin tonic might be a good idea to help your bird. Vitamin A can also help with immunity (or, rather, a shortage of vitamin A can lead to respiratory problems that look a bit like a cold). Worth keeping up the fresh greens.

I'll just add, you might want to look further into diagnostic possibilities as they might have a bearing on how you manage your flock from now on (e.g. quarantine). It's a shame but several of the respiratory diseases cause survivors to remain carriers. [​IMG]

best wishes
    Erica

3. sueche

sueche Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Thanks. I will research a recipe [​IMG]

4. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    While they can make their own Vit C, I would expect there are times when an extra dose of Vit C would be good... Especially with bacterial infections that release toxins, since Vit C neutralizes bacterial toxins. Horses make their own Vit C too, but I've succesfully treated a respitory infection in a horse with Vit C.
    I've tossed raisins into vit c crystals and then allowed the chickens to eat the raisins. Seeemed to help the one time I tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by