Vitamin Deficiency?

Feel some crops in the evening while they are on the roost. I pick them up and hold them facing away from me, and run my hand over the right chest from neck to breast. They should feel full and firm if they have been eating. By morning they should be empty and flat.
I was able to feel them tonight in all of my healthy hens, full and firm. Then I checked my sick girl and I couldn’t feel it, which probably means it’s empty. Other than the tiny amount of feed mixed with yogurt and vitamins I gave her this morning I don’t think she ate. She’s been separated for about the last 4 hours and she hasn’t pooped. I saw her drink a little but not eat any time I observed her throughout the day.

Let us know how she's doing.
Try to get some photos of her overnight poop too.
She seems the same today, not moving around much, just huddled up. She only had a little poop and it looked exactly the same as the last pictures I posted, normal.

I’m pretty sure she’s stopped eating. Is there anything us there anything I can do about that?

I’m hesitant to put her back with her girls since she doesn’t seem any better. It’s cold and has been raining all night and going to rain all day for the next couple days. My run is only partially covered and the ground still gets a little wet and yesterday she was laying on the ground instead of the roosts in the run. I’m literally in the middle of building them a fully roofed run and bigger coop. Should I keep her separated or see how she does back with the girls again?

Was her crop empty/flat this morning?

Were you able to begin treating for Coccidiosis yesterday?

Keep her in and see if she will drink for you. Hydration first, then offer her some feed. She may have interest in a little scrambled egg or wet feed.

Keep her in and see if she will drink for you. Hydration first, then offer her some feed. She may have interest in a little scrambled egg or wet feed.
Yes, crop felt flat/empty this morning. I didn’t start treating for coccidiosis yesterday because I remember you saying I should cut out the extra Thiamin…and I had already given her some yesterday morning so I thought I’d wait. I’ll start the coccidiosis treatment today.

I’ll make sure hydration comes first. Thanks!

My girl has been sitting in the corner of her large bin w/o moving all day so far. I haven’t seen her eat or drink and her crop is still flat. Here are a couple pictures of her poop. She is getting corrid treatment. I also syringed her 2.5ml of water this morning because I was afraid she wasn’t drinking. Should I continue to give her water via syringe to make sure she’s getting liquids?

Attachments

• A0377707-FC0C-4CE6-A09C-1A2FEFF4D20B.jpeg
    A0377707-FC0C-4CE6-A09C-1A2FEFF4D20B.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 1
  • 1234A835-DDF1-4517-B2E4-919F7B079094.jpeg
    1234A835-DDF1-4517-B2E4-919F7B079094.jpeg
    496.6 KB · Views: 2
You can also give her 0.4 ml of the undiluted Corid as a drench once or twice a day to jumpstart treatment. Try putting her back near her flockmates to see if she will eat and drink better. A small amount of mushy chicken feed mixed with Corid water can be offered to her. If worming, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard, instead of Equimax, since tapeworms are more rare, and since you have not seen any signs. Tapeworm segments are white moving specks in the droppings. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml given orally and again in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 days.

You can also give her 0.4 ml of the undiluted Corid as a drench once or twice a day to jumpstart treatment. Try putting her back near her flockmates to see if she will eat and drink better. A small amount of mushy chicken feed mixed with Corid water can be offered to her. If worming, I would use Valbazen or SafeGuard, instead of Equimax, since tapeworms are more rare, and since you have not seen any signs. Tapeworm segments are white moving specks in the droppings. Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml given orally and again in 10 days. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or the horse paste dosage is 1/4 ml per pound of weight given for 5 days.
Thank you for all that info! I’ve not yet tried deworming and I just started the corid treatment today. Can/should I do both at the same time or wait and see if the corid drench & treatment work before trying to deworm?

I’ll see how she does back with her ladies.

Im guessing I should I treat the rest of the flock w/ corid in their water too?

Sorry about your girl. You asked whether you can do something about her not eating. YES. You can syringe or tube feed her, though both come with some risk. As has already bern stated, hydration is important. She needz to be properly hydrated before feeding and just a couple mL is not nearly enough.

Back
Top Bottom