Vitamin supplements?

Lucretia

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 16, 2009
DFW area
Hi all! I recently had a mini crisis with one of my Red Star chicks (4 weeks old this week)...she was acting lethargic and just not herself, so I isolated her in a warmer spot and gave her some poly-vi-sol vitamins. She got over whatever was bothering her quite quickly, and is now happily back with the rest of the girls. My question is, is it a good idea to give these vitamins (like mixed in their water) to the whole flock every once in a while, or regularly...or not? If so, how often and at what dose? If not, is it bad for them or just not necessary?

Thanks!

~Lu

Ooh, thanks for the links! I would much rather give them a poultry-specific vitamin supplement... I was just wondering if it would be okay to use the poly-vi-sol, since I had to buy it in a pinch for the Red Star chick and don't really want the rest of it to go to waste.

~Lu

Sorry I don't know much about poly-vi-sol. Does it have an expiration date? If it will stay good for a long time, maybe you could save it for the next ill chicken.

That's a good thought. I'll put it aside for emergencies. Right now they're getting a good variety of foods (bugs, oatmeal, veggies, crumbles, etc.) so hopefully they're getting enough vities!

Thanks again for the help!

~Lu

I give my chickens vitamin & electrolytes in the water one day a week (usually Sunday). I have given my babies vitaflight in the their water every other day just to make sure they were thriving, and they do.

Back
Top Bottom