Vitamins A and E -- how much do you give to chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Artie, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Artie

Artie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Minnesota
    Or is there a good multi-vitamin for chicks? Or do I use a people one? I'm seeing a few issues with my chicks and it's possible they have a vitamin deficiency. I have a whole cabinet full of vitamins, but don't know how much to give them. Vitamins A and E seem the most likely culprits at this point.

2. Flyingbavarian

Flyingbavarian Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    I would skip the human vitamins not sure that it would be good for animals hopefully someone with more knowledge about it will chime in. If you want to give them vitamins, I would go to a feed store they have water soluble vitamins for livestock they are around 5 dollars a pack. One of these packs will make a couple hundred gallons, just mix it up per directions and fill their waterer whenever you want to give them vitamins.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  3. BluBug

BluBug Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Bloomfield
    Quote:[​IMG] I had read on BYC that someone gave theirs liquid baby vitamins~so I got some from the Drug store & add a few drops to my chicks water.[​IMG]

4. RiddleMe

RiddleMe Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I've ready multiple posts that the infant multivitamins are fine, as long as they are the ones without iron.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

There is a good avian supplement called Avia Charge 2000. It's a powdered concentrate that goes a very long way, has over 70 vitamins, minerals and amino acids made especially for birds. You put about a teaspoon in a gallon waterer, looks like very strong tea and smells a bit fishy. You'll have to order it online, though, never saw it in any pet store or feed store. Stromberg's and McMurray both sell it. I do give them some on occasion, but not very often. Most of the time, you won't need extra vitamins for your birds unless one is under the weather.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by