Vitamins or Supplements for chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kanchii, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

They get layer crumbles, scratch, cracked corn, and lots of treats like yougurt and veggies and meal worms. But I was wondering if theres some sort of vitamin supplement out there for poultry, that I could like, put into their water or something.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    You could get Avia Charge 2000 (available mail order from a few places - can google) - I use this and mix with their water pretty much daily unless it's a day when something else is in their water (I use it at a milder strength than the container indicates, because my feathered friends don't like it really strong) . Durvet makes a periodic supplement for poultry - vitamins and electrolytes. That is not a daily supplement.
    Once a month or so you can add apple cider vinegar with the mother to their water (put nothing else in the water that day) - a search here on BYC will give you more info about this including its benefits - certainly safe would be 1 teaspoon per gallon but I think some folks use more. On ACV days don't use metal containers for the water.
    Your feathered friends sound like they have a great mom [​IMG]
    JJ

3. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Thanks so much for your help! And yes, [​IMG] They are very spoiled.

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Madison,

Avia Charge 2000, can be purchased at McMurray's. It lasts a long time, especially if you mix it in dilute batches. My birds like it better in a weak solution too. You can also add it into a wet mash if you have to provide a little extra something for a bird that is under the weather. I don't think you can go wrong with Avia Charge--it's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by