Vittles----Tasty Predators

RuffTuffCreampuff

Songster
10 Years
Mar 27, 2009
Gainesville, Texas
Just don't get mad, get even!! Post your favorite predator recipe here. I am going to try the basic squirrel stew first. Squirrels keep getting into my black oil sunflower seed and chopped corn. They will jump thru hoops for Flock Raiser. Next racoon I see goes in the pot too, after I whack it over the head with a pot.
gig.gif

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zsquir.html

http://www.backwoodsbound.com/zracoon.html

Pam

Ground Hog stew.

Gut and skin ground Hog. Make sure to remove sent glands. Let rest for at least 24hrs.

23869_groundhog_001.jpg

Next cut up Ground Hog in to pieces so that it fits in a pot. Trim fat and other stuff off, and brine for 12hrs.

23869_groundhog_002.jpg

Put Ground Hog in a pot and season with herbs and spices of your choice. I used some Time, parsley salt, and pepper. Add water and simmer until tender. Remove Ground Hog pieces and pull meat from bones. Save the broth.

23869_groundhog_003.jpg

Chop Potatoes, Carrots, Onions, and Celery.
23869_groundhog_004.jpg

Add veggies and Ground hog meat back to the pot. Add water if needed and season to taste. Simmer until veggies are done.

Ready to serve, don't forget the biscuits.
23869_groundhog_005.jpg

Quote:
Just any ole squirrel, or do ya have to be fairly certain it's a young one? My dad talked about fried squirrel all the time. His grandmother used to fry it up for him.

Thanks.

When I was growing up my Grandfather had some pens out beside the barn that seemed to always have some racoon, or 'possum in them. We would go and get some veggies or greens from the garden and feed them, Grandfather always said "feed them as much as you want but just don't get bit". I was young about 6 or 7, didn't find out until I got older he was "cleaning them out" for the dinner table.
smile.png
I remember groundhog to but it didn't look anywhere near as good as Danielbrown's

Steve in NC

you know, we have groundhog around here, but haven't seen any in my yard, but have down the road near a creek crossing. so if dh goes hunting, I'll let him know I would consider cooking it if he killed one. I have been fighting him about cooking squirrel, but i have never eaten it, and well i turn my nose at it. but, he has been waring me down about, and i am leaning more towards trying it. i guess if you add enough herbs and spices to something it will taste good, right? but I can't say that I would choose it over 'regular meats'.

i will definitely be watching this thread for recipe ideas for this new found meat options lol

Let me preface this by saying I am not opposed to eating "varmints". I haven't eaten any, but I keep hoping hubby will come home with a basket of squirrels one day on a whim...

I was just wondering about rabies. I know it is only passed through the saliva, and I'm sure everyone is only eating healthy animals, but has anyone ever done any research on the topic? Is it a little too far fetched to even consider?

Back
Top Bottom