Vodka for chickens?!

I remember when my cat tried a bit of vodka, she was making some strange moves after, but it was very funny.

So... this article is straight up suggesting I use vodka and herbs as a remedy for respirator illness in chickens. I believe herbs can work but to this extent? Has anyone ever tried this? It’s making me curious but I don’t want to harm my chickens either. I know you dilute the vodka but it just sounds weird to me. Would it also work as a preventative like the article suggests?View attachment 2541356
you are using the alcohol as a solvent to draw the essential oils out of the herbs.
I seem to recall glycerin is fat, which has a similar molecular structure to react with the oils from the herbs.
It seems to be about like Bach's Rescue Remedy, unless you are a recovering alcoholic, those amounts should not do a thing to a life form bigger than a tick (and those I love to drown in booze.....)

PS I need to learn how to read a whole thread before replying....

Last edited:
So... this article is straight up suggesting I use vodka and herbs as a remedy for respirator illness in chickens. I believe herbs can work but to this extent? Has anyone ever tried this? It’s making me curious but I don’t want to harm my chickens either. I know you dilute the vodka but it just sounds weird to me. Would it also work as a preventative like the article suggests?View attachment 2541356
What is the name of this book and where did you get it?

Tinctures are valid medicines. 100 proof vodka is 50% water and 50% alcohol. Fresh herbs, roots, or dried roots are put in a jar and covered with vodka. This is left for 6+ weeks. There are water-soluble and alcohol-soluble nutritive and medicinal constituents in plants and this method separates them from the plant and they remain in the liquid.

I have heard of using tinctures with animals. I make and use plant medicines including tinctures and have for 40 years. But not knowing how poultry would respond to the alcohol, I would probably not use tinctures myself except topically.
This article is not recommending vodka and herbs; it's recommending a medicine. Tinctures are valid medicines. 100 proof vodka is 50% water and 50% alcohol. Fresh herbs, roots, or dried roots are put in a jar and covered with vodka. This is left for 6+ weeks. There are water-soluble and alcohol-soluble nutritive and medicinal constituents in plants and this method separates them from the plant and they remain in the liquid.

I have heard of using tinctures with animals. I make and use plant medicines including tinctures and have for 40 years. But not knowing how poultry would respond to the alcohol, I would probably not use tinctures myself on poultry except topically.

It was a magazine. As @ChickyChook22 mentioned it’s the magazine Grit. Specifically their guide to raising chickens. I think I got it at Walmart. But I’m pretty sure you can go onto Grits website and find their back issues.

Tinctures are valid medicines. 100 proof vodka is 50% water and 50% alcohol. Fresh herbs, roots, or dried roots are put in a jar and covered with vodka. This is left for 6+ weeks. There are water-soluble and alcohol-soluble nutritive and medicinal constituents in plants and this method separates them from the plant and they remain in the liquid.

I have heard of using tinctures with animals. I make and use plant medicines including tinctures and have for 40 years. But not knowing how poultry would respond to the alcohol, I would probably not use tinctures myself except topically.

This article is not recommending vodka and herbs; it's recommending a medicine. Tinctures are valid medicines. 100 proof vodka is 50% water and 50% alcohol. Fresh herbs, roots, or dried roots are put in a jar and covered with vodka. This is left for 6+ weeks. There are water-soluble and alcohol-soluble nutritive and medicinal constituents in plants and this method separates them from the plant and they remain in the liquid.

I have heard of using tinctures with animals. I make and use plant medicines including tinctures and have for 40 years. But not knowing how poultry would respond to the alcohol, I would probably not use tinctures myself on poultry except topically.
I realize all of this now. It was explained throughout the thread by other members here. But thank you for your input. I appreciate it. I haven’t tried this recipe but still wonder about it. I had never heard of tinctures before so the idea of them shocked me at the time of making this thread.

Back
Top Bottom