Volunteer needs to vent

BFeathered

Songster
11 Years
Aug 29, 2008
North Texas
Hello all you lovely feathered creature caretakers,
I haven't been on in a while, but I'm sure you're all busy too. I just need to vent, and you're such great sounding boards and laugh inducers that I'm doing it here. I volunteer at the middle school library for 2 hours (lunch) 1 day a week. Have done so for 4 years. Up to this year, things have gone relatively smoothly with the coordination and commitment of the folks volunteering. For some reason, this year, the moms (and 1 dad) who "willingly" signed up don't seem to think that volunteering means any kind of commitment. They don't call, they don't email, they DON'T show up at their agreed-upon time/day! This means that the librarians don't get to eat lunch, conduct scheduled conferences or take care of other scheduled events without closing the library to any and all during that period. BFHD? Not so much, since the lunch period is often the ONLY time some of these kids have access to the library without an act of God or similar signs from above. Okay, now I sound like an "old timer" griping about "young folk these days", but DANG! I was raised that if you made a commitment, you kept it. If you can't keep it, you do your best to make sure that it is covered or at least communicate with those who are affected. One mom "forgot" to tell anyone (not the coordinator, not the librarians, no one) that she was going to be overseas for a month. What, they don't have e-mail in Italy? You couldn't sent a quick e-mail after you hit the send button for those airline tickets? Geez, Louise, I just don't get it. If you're not going to show up, don't sign up! Today I left a meeting early in order to cover for someone who actually (after 5 emails from the coordinator) let us know she couldn't make it today. I offered to cover, but of course never heard Yes or No thanks back. I got to the library and there was already another volunteer there. That was at least good news, we had it covered. But there was absolutely no communication that I wasn't needed. So I left a meeting needlessly, and am now stuck actually doing my laundry and taking care of other house chores instead (LOL
tongue.gif
). Thanks for letting me vent. Now, anyone else out there want to come fold with me?
BFeathered

It's that don't show up at all that really gets me. Is it really that difficult to hit the buttons on the phone or the computer? I know 4 of these moms a little bit, and their sense of entitlement is truly jaw dropping. (sigh) Guess I'm bringing down the neighborhood with my old-fashioned values.

Back
Top Bottom