Voodoo Rooster, the strangest way to become a (temporary) owner...

plinkopunk

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Please help me! I live in the Chicago Andersonville neighborhood, yesterday while taking a walk through the St. Boniface Cemetery next to my house I found a red rooster that had something tied to it's leg. It looked painful so I caught him and removed 2 rolled up photographs that were tightly wired to its leg. The photos were too stuck together to unravel, but they were on photo-paper and appeared to be portrait snap shots. Rather than let him loose in the cemetery where he could be hit my a passing car, I dropped in my fenced-in back yard in hopes of finding the owner on craigslist or something.

Last night my girlfriend remembered seeing a house near the cemetery that had chicken coups behind it, so I walked over to see if maybe they had lost a rooster (and maybe find out what the photos were all about). This house's front door faces the gated entrance to the cemetery. The homeowner said that the coups were old and he only used them as tool sheds now, I asked if he knew where the rooster came from and he said that he always sees 'strange things' going on in the cemetery at night. A box of chicken heads, small fires, strange rock piles and formations, and naked people running around were a few of the things that he said he has seen, and he keeps his distance. This would also explain some strange 'art installations' I have see around the cemetery over the years, like a life-size clown with a rat-cage chest and a demon-babydoll in a birdcage hanging from a tree (this one is still hanging).

So, its likely that my poor rooster was used in one of these rituals, for the time-being he is hanging in my backyard, there is a little cover back there and some water, I threw a piece of bread back there, but I would really like to find a good home for him so he can get some rest, please help me out if you can!

Thanks!

A big Texas-sized
welcome-byc.gif

frow.gif
lol ... That's one way to get a rooster..
wink.png

28464_temp_pic_file_080.jpg

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas! Wow! The story the guy that lives near the cemetary told you is just north of creepy!
hide.gif
A box of chicken heads?? What is up with that! I think I'd have to move if I lived there. Yeah, it sounds like your rooster somehow dodged the old ritual sacrifice. Good luck rehoming him. Try Craigslist but be advised he will quite likely end up as dinner going that route! Great story - thanks for sharing!

Quote:
I'm a normal person...now that's out of the way, I am ghost hunter. I would not be too vocal around your neighborhood about how and where you found the Roo, some of the people who do this kind of stuff might not take kindly to it. Second what did you do with the pictures? Just a suggestion if you still have them I would take them back to the sematary and dig a hole with your foot and bury them there. I am the biggest sceptic you will meet, but I cover my bases. (We have documented some crazy stuff) There are strange things out there. That said if you have some oat meal in you house the roo will like that. you can post him on craigslist, he my not have happy ending but better than they were planing. Sorry I hope I didn't scare you.
thumbsup.gif

Plus
frow.gif
Hi, from big bear, you'll love all the info you get here!
welcome-byc.gif
ya.gif

Last edited:
Greetings from Wisconsin!

That's one heck of a story! It's great that you rescued the little guy from such a bad situation. As for finding a good home, if you can't find anyone in the area to take him, you might want to consider calling a local humane society for information on where to find a new home. Various shelters, especially rural ones, may accept a rooster. If they themselves can't take him, they might also be able to put you in contact with a rescue group who can. A quick on the petfinder website reveals that Illinois Valley Cat Taxi in Mendota IL takes in many chickens, although I'm not sure if that's too far away for you to drive.

Craigslist might work, but keep in mind that most buyers from there would turn him into dinner, or even worse, use him in more rituals. (You never really can tell on the internet.)

If you stick around BYC for a while, you could make a listing in the Buy/Sell/Auction section of the site, where you could reach a larger audience. I believe you need to make at least ten posts to create a listing, but that's easy enough, especially just sticking around in this thread!

In the meantime, just try to make sure he has someplace to sleep (chickens like to sleep in high places, so putting some sort of platform or box under the cover will encourage him to sleep there) and has food and water. Chickens like to eat a bit of everything, so tossing some bread, veggies, or chips will satisfy him in the meantime.

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom