Voting with Absentee Ballots

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Backyard Buddies, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Please, this post is not meant to become a political discussion. But, because this is important enough to our US democracy, this is important for you to know if you vote via absentee ballot. And it's important no matter your political party.

If you receive a letter from a political candidate with an application to receive an absentee ballot, do NOT send it in. Reports are coming in that some of these are actually meant to REMOVE you from the voting rolls. If you want to learn more, just Google "Vote Caging."

The reports are that these are being sent out in record numbers in contested states, those that are currently close in the polling numbers and are going to determine this election in November.

What should you do? Contact your local clerk responsible for voting in your county. Tell them what you received and request the proper form from your clerk. Do not throw it away. They may need to see it.

And, if you've already sent in one of these forms, contact your clerk immediately and let them know what happened so that they can direct you as to what to do next.

Your vote is important. Make sure it counts!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'm an absentee voter, but I signed up for that when I first registered to vote. Things that come in the mail unsolicited usually are shredded here.

3. Betsy

Betsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2007
    Northeast Indiana
    I vote absentee, but use the application the Election Board sends with my poll worker info. The past few elections I've voted absentee at the Election Board for the experience of voting in person and so I know my ballot is there on time and not lost in the mail [​IMG]

Sick that people are sending out fake absentee ballot applications.

4. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Thanks for the reminder, BB! It's discouraging to see that these kind of tricks are being played again. Better that we have a "clean" election, so that no matter the outcome, there will be less of a divide among Americans.

Voters, beware! Go through official channels only! Also, please don't fall for notices that tell you that in order to register to vote, you'll have to pay back debts, settle traffic tickets, etc. That's another tactic frequently employed to scare people away from the polls, in the guise of "voter registration drives."

Exercise your rights! [​IMG]

5. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    Great suggestions!

A website you may want to check out is http://www.canivote.org/

This
    website was created with the assistance of the Secretaries of State for each of the US States. This website can link you to your polling place and specify of what forms of ID are needed to vote (be aware that your name on your ID may need to match exactly what is on the registration) as well as any changes in policy in your state, registration deadlines, etc. Also be aware that in certain states, new policy dictates that if your home was foreclosed on, you may no longer be eligible to vote and will need to re-register. You can check your voter registration status at the Can-I-Vote website above.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by