Vultures and pastures

SouthernGal7

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
Hi all! I'm new!

I have a question that I hope someone can help me with.

I've been in chicken houses, loved the little chicks and helped my grandparent's with their chicken houses when I was small.

I remember the ammonia smell and how sometimes some of the chickens died and were taken out and disposed of.

But, I am dealing with a problem that I would like your professional opinions on.

I know that sometimes people compost the dead poultry and I have read about the regulations that are required to do this and then how they dispose of the compost on pastures.

What I'd like to know is "if" the composting process is done correctly, what is left when they scatter the compost?

Would there be anything left of the dead birds or would there be a smell of dead animals?

TIA!

I would, if it were my problem.

But, I'm trying to find out what is left when they compost the dead birds and then spread it over pastures.

I think someone might be in violation of the composting regulations.

I've read the procedure of composting, but I don't understand "what" is left of the animals when they spread it.

I had heard that it was not good for it to have feathers or bird parts and I'm seeing these things, along with the stench of dead things. Vultures also land and eat from what is spread.

I just feel that there is something wrong with the composting procedure they are using.

But, I'm trying to find out what is left when they compost the dead birds and then spread it over pastures.

If it's truly "compost", all you'll see is some bones and a few feathers.

You may be seeing "litter" right out of the chicken house

They should be plowing it in soon after spreading​

No, they never plow it.

They spread the stuff and the stench is horrible. It's like passing roadkill.

There are feathers, legs, feet and the vultures eat off the pasture for a few days until their picking is over.

But, the dead stench is there - on and on.

And they bring cattle right back on the pasture to eat!

It is also spread where there is a stream and you know the stuff has to get in the stream, where children down below are playing in it!

You can't go outside for gagging.
sad.png

Is this normal for "correct" composting?

Report it to the health dept. if you feel it is a ongoing problem. The birds I have buried were a foot down,but this was a pet grave.Composting heats things up. If the vultures came then I agree the rotting was not complete.Those birds can smell decomp from miles away.

Quote:
So you are actually describing something that is going on near you, close enough to smell .... correct?

Trying to compost one or two dead chickens would require a large compost pile to insure critters cannot pull the birds out of the pile to eat.
A hot compost pile would decompose the birds quickly if it was turned on a regular basis making sure the birds were again buried deeply enough to prevent critters and flies from being attracted to the decomposing bird.

You should not smell anything offensive if the compost pile is working properly.

As Mattemma said, "Report it to the health dept. if you feel it is a ongoing problem."

Thank you all for the replies.

I know composting poultry is legal, but surely what I'm smelling has to be illegal.

It is a neighbor that has a pasture right next door. He does this spreading on the pasture, several times a year and when it happens, my family has to stay inside for weeks.

You can't stand to be outside.

We all feel nauseous.

Our quality of life deteriorates, due to the conditions.

You can't hang clothes out.

You can't eat outside.

You feel like if you go out, that your clothes and hair will reek from the dead smell.

The vultures sit on the fence, sit in the trees, fly in circles overhead - this goes on for 2-3 days until I guess the best of the pickings are gone.

Then the vultures leave, but the smell still is there.

Our dog brings nasty things from the pasture home - decayed chicken legs, feet.

Here is a treasure that she brought to us a couple of days ago -

picture1111.jpg

The thing is, if this is correct composting . . . I guess I can't do anything about it, except consider I have a very rude neighbor.

My husband has breathing problems anyway, COPD and other lung problems - this certainly doesn't help him at all.

My daughter has stomach migraines - a very nauseating condition on its own.

I experience loss of appetite and am extremely nauseous.

So far, I've not been able to find an answer or any help.

Back
Top Bottom