Waddle cut

Loveak9

Songster
Sep 1, 2018
South Central Wisconsin
Hi all,
First time we have a bigger owie with our flock. Not sure how the cut happen. This is our 2nd in charge lady of 7. She is a 1 1/2yr old, healthly, hearty feeling barred rock hen. Laying every other day. We only have horizontal nipple waterer (in winter). No sharp edges, maybe a new bullyđź‘ą

I currently have her crated in the basement. Its 6°f outside expecting to get colder. I gently blotted the cut with warm water, then with iodine. I just found her cut this late evening (11pm).

Would this cut location benefit from Dawkins solution?
Would u keep her inside for treatment/healing or do treatment then dry her & put her back outside?
Any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• 20200219_231143.jpg
    20200219_231143.jpg
    628.1 KB · Views: 16
I've had that happen to one of my Barred Rocks before. I my case, I caged her in the garage for 5 days, applied betadine and then put neosporin on it. On the 6th day I applied Blu-Kote to it and released her.
I used Blu-Kote so that other birds wouldnt pick at the wound. It works.
Here's pic of her before I applied the Blu-Kote. It healed nicely.
004.JPG

You need to make a better job of cleaning it. Get some Chlorhexedine and spray on the wound and leave it to dry. Then give it a wipe clean with the Chlorhexedine.
I ceratinly wouldn't isolate a chicken for a wound like that. The roosters here recieve far worse and after a clean up and disinfect they are back with their tribes.

You need to make a better job of cleaning it. Get some Chlorhexedine and spray on the wound and leave it to dry. Then give it a wipe clean with the Chlorhexedine.
I ceratinly wouldn't isolate a chicken for a wound like that. The roosters here recieve far worse and after a clean up and disinfect they are back with their tribes.
I agree with you about the roosters. However in my case, the rooster I had at the time tried to kill the hen in the pic. Unfortunately for the rooster, she was my favorite hen. The rooster went bye bye and eventually got another rooster without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom