Wafer thermostat or something better

hobbieorb

Chirping
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
wythe, Virginia
I have built myself a cabinet bator out of plywood that is 20"x20"x36" and I am having a difficult time trying to figure out the heat source and thermostat. So far it is an element and wafer thermostat from Cutler supply. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Oh, my bad
tongue.png
The sportsmans used a double wafer set up for years and they all still use the 250 watt element..
A single wafer thermostat is about $19.50
A double wafer set up is about $38
A electronic thermostat is about $74
A single wafer will work, a double wafer is safer and beter still..The electronic is most likely the best of the bunch but priced accordingly..
In my opinion if your building a cabinet incubator it would best to use a 250 watt heating element..They are $16 with the wire leads and insulators..
Now there are also PID controllers, reptile habitat thermostats etc...that may bear some looking into..I dont know enough about them to give you an informed opinion..Sorry..

I just bought a digital one last week and it is awesome!
thumbsup.gif

I don't have any experience with the wafers so I can't help there.

Unless the dollars are a big factor for you and if can do it at all I would cough up for the electronic thermostat. It is just so much steadier. I have a dickey incubator and hatcher, old ones, and the incubator came with double wafer and the hatcher electronic. The difference in temp holding is very significant I just got the electronic and put it in.

You have already gone to the trouble and expense of a cabinet, I would take the next step. But then it is easy for me to spend someone elses money/

The wafers will work just not as on the money temp wise.

good luck

I forgot to add that a freind of mine just replaced the double wafers(they finally went bad) in a sportsman hes had for about 25 years..He loves it. He likes it better than the double wafers..He has another sportsman that still has the double wafers..Hes leaving it as is for now..Im gonna keep track on his hatch rates between the two..Out of curiosity..I do have to add that hes hatched many thousands of chicks in those sportsmans over the years with nothing but wafer thermostats..
wink.png
Ive known times hes had both completely full for months at a time without stopping
cool.png

I agree with the advice so far given to you...remember before all the electronic gadgets, incubators were thermostatically controlled by the wafer system, billions& billions of eggs have been hatched with this inexpensive system and I'll bet billions more yet to be hatched....Modernization has brought todays consumer into the "set and forget" system and magically a chick appears. Controlling temp, humidity and turning of the eggs.....simple
I hate the idea of putting $150 out for a stryofoam box and believe a home-made cabinet is the way to go.
Good Luck, HappyHatch'en

The wafer has been used for over 50 years, in a lot of incubators and brooder, GQF use a electronic and a wafer as a backup.

Best to have two, the backup one can save a incubator full of eggs, and give you time to repair the first one if it goes out.

Back
Top Bottom