Wahooo! [Update]Chicks being mischievous

ChickenSahib

Chirping
8 Years
May 21, 2011
Hayward
Alright, I just made a purchase of two RIR chicks and apparently a Delaware chick (I think it's a brahma though b/c some feather feet). I was just wondering, they are all about one month old. Do I really need to buy a flood light, or am I fine?

Also, if anyone could post a picture of a delaware chick just starting to feather in or at about 1mnth old, I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:
It all depends on outside temp and how feathered they are. I had a Cochin that didn't start feathering until she was 5 weeks old. I had to have her under a light until she was over 2 months old. They could be fine since it's middle of summer and if the lows are in the low 70's, depending where you are. My youngest two were 95% feathered at 4 weeks when I brought them to the coop. I kept the brooder light on for a few nights in the coop where it was securely hung to where it didn't start a fire. Good luck. If they are not fully feathered, you might need the light at night.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, they'll be inside until I get the coop done ^^.

These chicks are so mischievous! They poop in their water, dump their water, spread their feed everywhere, scratch in the shavings and even escape their brooder!

I'm thinking of just buying a waterer from the store instead of using a platebowl sort of thing. i tried making a miniwater but they just tossed the water everywhere!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom