Wait to give Mereks vaccine until more eggs hatch?

Emybec

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2023
I placed 6 eggs under my broodie silkie hen 21 days ago. Yesterday morning, we awoke to 4 beautiful and healthy-looking baby chicks. The 2 remaining eggs have not hatched and I don't see and progress yet. I am wondering if I should wait to give the chicks the mereks vaccine for a few more days, to see if the other two eggs hatch? I only have one vial of vaccine so I would prefer not to have to buy another if not needed. Thank you!

It's too late if they were hatched by the broody, they've already been exposed to other birds.
The vaccine doesn't prevent them getting or spreading the disease, it just reduces the deadly tumors.

Thanks, I thought since my other two adult hens are vaccinated, there is a high liklihood that they haven't yet been exposed?

Thanks, I thought since my other two adult hens are vaccinated, there is a high liklihood that they haven't yet been exposed?
Your birds could still have mareks, the vaccine doesn't prevent them from getting, carrying it or spreading it. It just reduces the chances of dieing from it. The vaccine is pricey and only comes in 100 bird doses and doesn't keep, there would be a lot of waste.

I placed 6 eggs under my broodie silkie hen 21 days ago. Yesterday morning, we awoke to 4 beautiful and healthy-looking baby chicks. The 2 remaining eggs have not hatched and I don't see and progress yet. I am wondering if I should wait to give the chicks the mereks vaccine for a few more days, to see if the other two eggs hatch? I only have one vial of vaccine so I would prefer not to have to buy another if not needed. Thank you!
I find that people who are selling vaccinated birds usually already have the disease in their flock.

This is not fact...just an observation I've noticed.

Curious...where did you get your vaccinated birds from?

Back
Top Bottom