Waiting on duck eggs???

Domestic ducks, bred for egg-production start to lay at ~4½ months (30 weeks), i am not sure, but think that Mallards should be a month later.
My white Layers started at 4½ months, the Buff-Orpingtons and Magpies at 5 months and the Indian Runners at 6. With your Mallards i wouldn't expect eggs before next spring, because ducks stop laying during the shorter days.

Since Mallards are seasonal layers probably next spring. My Muscovy are the same seasonal they lay spring through Oct.
Thank you for that info. I am new to the whole duck raising, so any and all info is so very much appreciated. They free range for the majority of the day and evening. I only pen them at night but half my run isn't covered and they some times fly out. I just didn't want to worry about left eggs in the yard.

Domestic ducks, bred for egg-production start to lay at ~4½ months (30 weeks), i am not sure, but think that Mallards should be a month later.
My white Layers started at 4½ months, the Buff-Orpingtons and Magpies at 5 months and the Indian Runners at 6. With your Mallards i wouldn't expect eggs before next spring, because ducks stop laying during the shorter days.
Thank you so much for info. Like I replied to Miss Lydia, I'm new to all of this so any info is great.

Back
Top Bottom