Walking the Chicken Part 2

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lord_Cluckers, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Lord_Cluckers

Lord_Cluckers In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Ok. As previously stated in my last topic, I have had trouble getting my chickens to walk around in a harness on a leash. One person suggested strawberries as a treat to get them going. I tried it, and they became slightly more active. Now the problem is getting them to go in the right direction.

2. cposz

cposz Songster

May 5, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would you want to walk your chicken with a harness and leash?

3. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    You put a chicken on a leash?

Why?

My chickens will follow me regardless but I don't walk them down the street. Sorry.

4. Lord_Cluckers

Lord_Cluckers In the Brooder

Jun 19, 2009
    Dallas
    Well, I like taking my dog out with me when my parents force me outside. So I thought about how it would be to take one of my chickens on a walk. I just want something else to keep me company outside since my dog tends to run away the second i drop the leash. Besides. There are many people who take their chickens out on walks. This is the system that I am following: http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/harness_leash.htm

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    To each his own!

Is your chickens name "Matilda"?
    Then you could WALTZ with her!

6. I think it's a great idea [​IMG] and just read about someone who walks their chicken every evening.

Keep us posted on your progress!

7. Baymen Moe

Baymen Moe Songster

Jan 17, 2009
    Pembroke, Ma.
    Maybe some blinders so all they see is the strawberry?[​IMG]

8. AboutSixPounds

AboutSixPounds In the Brooder

Feb 9, 2009
    Northern Piedmont, NC
    I think that's very cool, teaching a chicken to walk on a leash. Patience, perseverance, and lots of treats would be my method. Just like a dog.

I used to see a guy every day at the Public Market in Seattle who had his cat on a leash. The cat walked alongside him just like a dog. Seemed to really enjoy being out and about, too. If a cat can do it, why not a chicken?

Good luck!

9. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I think it's rather cool. And I believe with enough training, any animal can be taught. Will you teach it to sit up? Roll over? Speak?

10. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Songster

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    My DH has been talking about this too,...he wants to take his rooster for walks,..at our local flea market on Sunday mornings! He says if people can bring their dogs to the flea market,..he can bring his rooster. What logic,bless his heart.

(He will be going to the flea market alone [​IMG] ) [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: