Walking the Chicken Part 2

Lord_Cluckers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Dallas
Ok. As previously stated in my last topic, I have had trouble getting my chickens to walk around in a harness on a leash. One person suggested strawberries as a treat to get them going. I tried it, and they became slightly more active. Now the problem is getting them to go in the right direction.

007Dawn

Out Of Coop
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
You put a chicken on a leash?

Why?

My chickens will follow me regardless but I don't walk them down the street. Sorry.

Lord_Cluckers

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
Dallas
Well, I like taking my dog out with me when my parents force me outside. So I thought about how it would be to take one of my chickens on a walk. I just want something else to keep me company outside since my dog tends to run away the second i drop the leash. Besides. There are many people who take their chickens out on walks. This is the system that I am following: http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/harness_leash.htm

Last edited:

AboutSixPounds

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 9, 2009
Northern Piedmont, NC
I think that's very cool, teaching a chicken to walk on a leash. Patience, perseverance, and lots of treats would be my method. Just like a dog.

I used to see a guy every day at the Public Market in Seattle who had his cat on a leash. The cat walked alongside him just like a dog. Seemed to really enjoy being out and about, too. If a cat can do it, why not a chicken?

Good luck!

Up-the-Creek

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2008
West Virginia
My DH has been talking about this too,...he wants to take his rooster for walks,..at our local flea market on Sunday mornings! He says if people can bring their dogs to the flea market,..he can bring his rooster. What logic,bless his heart.

(He will be going to the flea market alone
)

Top Bottom