Wallyworld Digital Thermometers/Hygrometers

Quote:
VettekLisa is correct...the probe only measures temperature. To measure humidity the unit/case itself has to be in the environment that you desire to measure.

To check the thermometer you need a "standard" to go by...a medical thermometer would work. Start up your incubator and place the med thermometer in a lukewarm glass of water and set that inside the incubator. Place your digital unit inside the incubator along with any other thermometer that you are curious about. If you have a water wiggler you could place the probe inside of it. If you don't have a water wiggler you could simply drop the probe inside the glass of water with the medical thermometer...the probe should be waterproof being as it's made to be outdoors in the elements.

Let the incubator run for 24 hours to let it and everything inside stabilize in regards to temperature. If your incubator has a window, note the digital readings before you take the lid off. Pick up the glass with the medical thermometer in it and check the reading. Compare this reading with the one's that you took from the digital unit. If the medical thermometer reads 5 degrees warmer than the digital unit then add 5 degrees to the reading of the digital unit...if the medical thermometer reads less than the digital unit then subtract that number of degrees to the digital unit.

I'm still a little skeptical of these inexpensive digital thermometers, but I do believe that the Accurite w/probe that I have is the more accurate and consistent one in regards to temperature.

If you're wondering what a "water wiggler" is, it is one of those toys that looks like it's made of thick balloon material and is filled with water. It's built into a "tube shape" having an open center...when you hold it in your hand it's hard to hold onto. Placing the probe inside of the "tube" simulates measuring the temperature inside of an egg.

To check the accuracy of the hygrometer put 1/2 cup of salt into a coffee cup along with about 1/4 cup of water and stir well to wet the salt thoroughly....use just enough of water to *barely* cover the top of the salt once stirred. Place the cup of salt mixture into a ziplock bag along with the thermometer unit. Let it sit for 24 hours and the resulting humidity reading *should* show 75%....like the temperature, if it reads something like 68% then add 7% to the reading to make it come up to 75%....if it reads 78% then subtract 3%, etc., etc.,.

I'm a newbie to all of this, but hopefully I haven't erred in describing any of this to you. If I did I feel sure someone will straighten me out.
smile.png

Best wishes!
Ed

so to check the humity on the unit the cup with the salt and water mixture put it in the ziplock bag and then lay the unit in the bag or in the solution it self

Quote:
Just lay the unit beside the cup...both being inside the bag. Do not put it in the salt solution. You should take care that none of the salt solution gets on the thermometer.

Ed

Quote:
Personally, for humidity, I'm going to shoot for 40% thru day 18 and then 60% thru day 21.

Temperature for forced air is 99.5F measured at top of egg height.

Ed

I have all three of these from Walmart. When I tried them the acurite w/o the prob didn't work very well and when the humity got so high it quit working. I use the Springfield but to be fair I have not experimented much with the one with a prob ( because I can't find a water wiggler anywhere
barnie.gif
)

HELP:(

i have Acu-Rite Thermometer With The Prob im Getting All Kinds Of Readings The Reading Go Like This
Inside temp Reads 93.6 Out side Temp 97.9 Witch should i think should read the same 48% Humidity With The Unite Laying Flat On Wire Mesh In The Center Of Bator Then I Get A Reading Of 97.7 With A Kids Dital Thermomitor And That Is At Egg Holder Top There Is No Eggs In The bator Right Now But Will Have Them Sunday I Just Got A Digital Meat Thermomitor For The store And Put it In The Hole On Top Of The Incubator It Touches The Bottom Long Shaft And It Reads 104.4 Help

Last edited:
http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Hygrometer-Western-Instrument-Company/dp/B0007VWEQA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1239839455&sr=8-2

Look
at this analog hygrometer. I just bought this for 6.95 and now it is 4.95 with free shipping. When I received it, I calibrated it and it works perfectly. It is so cheap that if it does not last but a year, then I can just buy another. It has an adjustment on the back so you can calibrate it very easily.

Seems like this might be something to calibrate and then check you digital units against.

Just a thought.

Quote:
Maybe you could get a large balloon, experiment with putting different amounts of water in it, fold it around your probe and secure it with a rubber band.....just a thought.
smile.png

Ed

Back
Top Bottom