Wanna guess breed and sex?

Okay Muscles. Time to answer the people. Come educate us.

@The Moonshiner
Ok mouth
Seems a couple might know me to well.
Yes they are all leghorns. I bred them and hatched them so I'm sure.
The red one is a black tailed red leghorn.
The buff is a buff leghorn.
The barred one is a cuckoo leghorn.
The blue is a blue leghorn. I did use an andalusian 4 or 5 generations back to get the blue color but since then I've been breeding back to pure leghorns.
The first is from a white tailed red/buff and mottled WT red/buff project pen.
I was aiming for just a white tail but he got more white then expected.
He did escape into the yard and when caught I thought man he looks like a red sex link female pattern.
I just threw this thread up to see what people said.
I figured the pattern on an obvious male would make a few scratch their heads.
The others where just colors seen in other more common breeds. I just wanted people to see ID'ing breeds isn't always as easy as it seems.
Just because its buff doesn't mean Orpington. Even buff with yellow legs doesn't mean buff rock.
Dark red with black tail doesn't always equal RIR or production red. Barred isn't always BRs or Cuckoo marans and blue doesn't always mean oh who knows i just throw that in because hell how many have ever seen a blue leghorn.
The eggs was just being a sm@rt @SS.

What do you mean? The egg technique is scientific.
I've hatched way too many eggs to believe that. And have way too many hens that lay also.
I have hens that only lay pointy eggs and hens that only lay fat round eggs but yet I hatch both sexes from each.
I once saw a study and they tried to lean towards it being somewhat accurate. But they were talking micro differences in measurements. Thats not something I'm gonna try but I can assure you if it was accurate the hatcheries would be using the method.
If egg shape or measurements could predict the sex it would revolutionise the hatchery industry.
So until they jump aboard that crazy train I'm gonna let it blow its whistle and pass right by.

I've hatched way too many eggs to believe that. And have way too many hens that lay also.
I have hens that only lay pointy eggs and hens that only lay fat round eggs but yet I hatch both sexes from each.
I once saw a study and they tried to lean towards it being somewhat accurate. But they were talking micro differences in measurements. Thats not something I'm gonna try but I can assure you if it was accurate the hatcheries would be using the method.
If egg shape or measurements could predict the sex it would revolutionise the hatchery industry.
So until they jump aboard that crazy train I'm gonna let it blow its whistle and pass right by.
I believe Rooster was trying to be silly.

Also, please stay off the crazy train. 😘

I believe Rooster was trying to be silly.

Also, please stay off the crazy train. 😘
I believed that was probably the case.
But my reply was two fold.
First for others that may come along and read the replies. I want to leave no doubts about my thoughts on it since I also was being silly about it.
It amazes me how many believe that idea and adamantly believe it.
Second reason was a little jab back for the "The breeder clearly didn't do a very good job." comment.
Hope she doesn't take too much offense to the reply.

Stay off the crazy train? What you didn't save me a seat?

I believed that was probably the case.
But my reply was two fold.
First for others that may come along and read the replies. I want to leave no doubts about my thoughts on it since I also was being silly about it.
It amazes me how many believe that idea and adamantly believe it.
Second reason was a little jab back for the "The breeder clearly didn't do a very good job." comment.
Hope she doesn't take too much offense to the reply.

Stay off the crazy train? What you didn't save me a seat?
I'm the conductor.

I figured the pattern on an obvious male would make a few scratch their heads.
The others where just colors seen in other more common breeds. I just wanted people to see ID'ing breeds isn't always as easy as it seems.
Just because its buff doesn't mean Orpington. Even buff with yellow legs doesn't mean buff rock.
Based on what you’re saying here, care to take a guess at the combination of these two hens? They are 13 months old in these pics and are a 50/50 split of two pure breds.
4B9421F8-BA50-4878-ADB3-1A909D90BE28.jpeg
670D3A53-F98B-4E9C-A8A3-0F006E019F40.jpeg

I know the parents, I was just wondering if you could tell. I love all the knowledge from y’all chicken genetics folks!

Back
Top Bottom