Wanna play "Name that Egg?"

DuckyBoys

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Colorado
I found this one in the barn pen that leads out to the aviary this morning. This is the first egg to come out of that pen and they weren't separated yet.
mysteryegg1.gif

The birds that are in the aviary are:

Wood duck pair (bonded)
2 mandarin pairs (onepair is for sure bonded, one so so) and another mandarin male
Runner pair
4 call ducks and 4 call drakes

My first guess was that this was a call egg - it looks just like one to me - BUT those calls never ever go into the barn pen. There is a pophole that leads in there and they have never once been through that pophole that I know of. ALl the wild ducks frequent the barn pen though.

There was no nest, which led me to believe that the runner could be responsible, but it does not look like a runner egg to me - all my other runners lay green eggs, and bigger.

My best guess is wood duck.

Any other guessers?
idunno.gif

is it speckled? It looks speckled from the picture if not, it looks just like my call duck eggs we get and they lay them wherever they feel like depositing them.

Ours are a creamy blueish white coloring.

Quote:
No it was just dirty! Not speckled! It looks like a call egg to me too, I separated them out today so we shall soon see. Although I doubt if I will ever be able to tell the difference between the woodies and mandarins.

Last year the only laying call I had made a very cute litle nest, and the thing is that the egg was sitting right in front of the nest box, but not in it.

Mystery egg continues...
tongue.png

Quote:
No it was just dirty! Not speckled! It looks like a call egg to me too, I separated them out today so we shall soon see. Although I doubt if I will ever be able to tell the difference between the woodies and mandarins.

Last year the only laying call I had made a very cute litle nest, and the thing is that the egg was sitting right in front of the nest box, but not in it.

Mystery egg continues...
tongue.png

That is what our calls do sometimes too! is it opaque enough for you to actually see the air cell in the big end. Ours are!

Quote:

Mystery egg continues...
tongue.png

That is what our calls do sometimes too! is it opaque enough for you to actually see the air cell in the big end. Ours are!

Yes, I can see through it. I am almost sure it is a call egg now. Just a wiating game!

Ok, now I'm really confused.
idunno.gif

I put those calls in the barn pen and tonight I went out and I have a green egg! This one was in the nest box, maybe it was there this morning and I just didn't see it? I dunno...I don't like the Name that Egg Game! I guess everything will become clearer in a few weeks.

fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom