want 12-14 chicken

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by love2chicken, Feb 27, 2011.

1. love2chicken

love2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    graham,washington
    I want 12-14 chickens standard size chickens how big should i make the coop and run they will only be able to free range a few times a week since i have dogs and will have to put them in the kennel. pleae help me out

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The standard recommendation is 4 square feet of coop space per chicken and 10 square feet of run space per chicken.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There's a chicken coop link at the top of the index page and a whole forum devoted to coop and run design. There are several factors involved in the size of the coop. I would build a basic 8'x8' walk-in building with a roof that slants to one side only, as this makes installing enough ventilation quite simple. You could safely make it a little smaller, as long as they have access to enough run every day, but this is the most economical use of standard building materials, and allows a little extra space for a broody pen, feed storage added chickens, whatever.

If you are saying they will be confined to the coop unless the dogs are kenneled, I would make it at least twice as large. Actually I wouldn't have chickens if I couldn't let them out every day, barring really terrible weather like a major blizzard.

4. Newbie in Screamer Al

Newbie in Screamer Al Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2011
    X 2 at least. You will probably add more later, so bigger is better.
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by